cattle head gate

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
Hi, Do any of you use a Filson Automatic Head Gate for cattle? I have had one of these for many many years and every year about now I want to destroy it. No matter how I set it the cows ram it and it won't close. I have taken everything apart and lubed it and works smooth as silk manually. I am convinced there is a design flaw. Can any one tell me if they have had this experience with this brand and what kind of auto head gate would you all recommend because this one is soon going to the scrap yard. I can't stand the cow abuse or tolerate my blood pressure any more.
 
We used a Pearson automatic headgate for many years with our polled herd and were satisfied with it. Ours was the later model that had the roller chain that linked the two sides at the top of the gate. The earlier models had it at the bottom and it was prone to fill up with mud and manure.
 
I've had pretty good luck with a Formost that I bought new a few years ago. Its good to catch a single once in a while to pull a calf or treat something but I don't like it for working a big bunch. Prefiert makes one that you can use manually or self catch that I would really like to try. Lee
 
Not to sure what my Squeeze chute is but it works most every time as long as I make sure its set correctly. Alway fun to loose a cow or calf on the first run. right now its buried in the briar's never could figure out why they only grow right there and not in the rest of corral.
Walt
 
Prefiert is the best I ever used. The shute and headgate are made for a one man operation. Maybe a bit more in price but worth every penny.
 
I've got a Big Valley portable and one from TSC permanently mounted. I don't know who made the TSC,if it was Tarter Gate or what. The Big Valley is great. Never had a problem with it. The TSC isn't too bad. It just doesn't have the range of adjustment that the Big Valley has. You pull a pin and slide a square block to adjust the TSC where the BV has a threaded rod that you turn so the settings are infinate.
 
Built one for my Dad in the 60s.....used one owned by the local livestock association for a pattern. Their's used cable to swing the gate(s); hard to keep it 'timed'. I used # 60 roller chain and a couple of sprockets. It was portable, but HEAVY; my sisters inherited the farm and the fellow who rents it is.......I guess.....still using the head gate. I was partial to Powder River; sold it when I sold the last of the cows 3 years ago (it wasn't self-catch).
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top