sam in mo

Member
Has anyone on here put a kit in a cav pump? Other than keeping everything spotless and the spring in the right holes is there anything else that needs special attention. The o-ring between the pump head and the main body of the pump is leaking. It is not a pressure leak.Any insight on this project before I start will be most helpfull. Thanks Sam
 
I don't know Sam. I have my Standard 'running' but not starting 'cause this CAV pump can't get the fuel up the 4 last lines, and there are big decisions here. I see one place that sells the kits is sold out. Mine doesn't leak, it just doesn't pump. I had the back off, nothing in there but a 4 vane pump, seems all the bolts on the top cover get you in to the rest of it? But again tonight I got it going on... carboration? A spray of kerosene and ether in the intake, runs for a few seconds at a time. A freind looks at all the smoke, hears the cheesey knocking, and sez 'why didn't you rebuild that continental gas one insted? Everyone around here sends the pumps down the road for $700, and I hate to tear this one appart all by myself, without a kit yet too... so I will be watching your progress- and rootin' for you! good luck!
a46434.jpg

a46435.jpg

a46437.jpg

a46438.jpg
 
I love that you've got the can of starting fluid right beside the can of Black Label. "shot of starting fluid for the tractor, shot of starting fluid for me". :lol:
 
Thanks for the reply. I havent decided what to do yet. If you let it set for a week the pump drains out and you have to bleed the system to get it to start.Sure dont feel like spending 700 dollars to get it rebuilt when a kit is only forty dollars. Dont seem right paying $660 dollars to put in a forty dollar kit.Thanks again Sam
 
Inno, you are far too observant. The starting fluid is smooth, but it still needs a beer chaser. Did you ever see 'cider house rules'? With Micheal Caine? he was getting stoned on the stuff, well, old fashioned ether. This thing is getting sadder by the day. I don't want to get Sam depressed....but....
 
I went thru the manuals someone gave me, no details on the pump. In months I haven't found anyone who even wants to look at it, except the 7 bill place, and I love to atleast have another brain around as I tackle jobs like this. I found another website with a thread about this pump- 200 guys asking for help, one guy selling a 2 day crash course in pump rebuilding. that's sad too. How's the rest of the engine? rest of the tractor? If you get yours appart- can you take pictures?
 
Tony, here is a link to a guy on Ebay that sells parts. He has a pump for sale and I can see from his other items he parted out a 35 with a standard diesel so this may be your pump, or one that would work. Still not a cheap route to go, but may get you running for far less than $700.
CAV pump on Ebay
 
thanks Dan, weren't you the guy that told me about the kit on Ebay? Since paypal, I don't even check the site. Maybe Sam could use this pump. To be truthful, after getting my rebuilt engine to start, and hear it run, I am already starting my next gas engine project.... thanks anyway.
 
The pump om e-bay is for a 135 mine is a 175. The tractor is like all old tractors and men it could use some repair and help but it gets me by for what I do.Dont know how to do the picture thing and put it on the computer. Thanks to everyone
 
I sent my CAV to Mylex in Mississippi for a rebuild. They took a while (2 months because they are backed up), but they did a great job. They had to replace some parts and recalibrate it, but it runs like a champ now. The cost was south of $400. If you've got the time, I recommend them.
 
Hey thanks for the lead Georgia! I lost a link to an ebay kit someone sent me a couple weeks ago, so much stuff on there I couldn't find it. The one I lost track of was for sale in your place in Miss. They sell the parts, or do the whole job for you. so I will order the kit, and if that don't work, sending it will be half the cost of the 'experts' near me. Thanks again- tony
 
Hey Sam, I posted a couple things on this injector pump on the 'Harry ferguson forum'. I posted new pics too, and a few brains got into it. I think I am back on track. go check it out. Tony
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top