Challenger 285

You won't find many cons. A little hard on fuel, but idled back can make up for it a little. Biggest plus is the 1-2% slippage you get with the tracks, in lieu of the 6-8% or more with dualed tires. Way less compaction than with rubber tired tractors. A lot of people complain of the burms the tractors make when turning, but if you slow down a little and don't try to make a sharp 90, there is NO burm issue. Nice riding too. If you can justify the Challenger, you'll love it. Bob

Hydrostatic ? or manual ? I'm surprised at how much our 265 has put up with what its been through, as I've been off and on working at our place over the years, so when I'm not there no service work ever seems to get done like it should, though its been done just not as often as I prefer, this line of tractors seems to be tough, 1100 + hours on this one, parts for all these, and I believe the Massey Fergusons are the same or similar can be a bit pricey, filters and things. Hopefully that 285 has a stack, the 265 we have is about the same year and the outer air filter gets full of soot from exhaust in no time, bad design. So far, these seem to hold up to heavy useage.

Thanks for the info Billy no the 285 does not have a stack I will have to watch out for the filter. The dealer did say all the parts could be bought through Massy

Agco, and or Cat I believe also carries parts, I've run ours with the tin off the side, seems to help with the soot, but I think you could easily, get some pipe made up and extend the existing exhaust further away, create a stack .... and they definitely made a change on this soon after as I believe they all had stacks after '03.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back