change over

Leroy

Well-known Member
So exactly what are us non computor experts going to have to do to get YT
when you change over. All I know is click on favorites and YT home page coms
up and is on classic. and I get a list of post to click on. Is that going to
work the same or different? Do I have to get a different setting on
favorites to do it? I don't even know how to get a site on the favorites
bar.
 
I'll need to know what your favorites actually link to to know if it will be the same. If you can email me what it links into, we can check that it will automatically forward to the same place. Most probably it will already be covered. Just paste your link into an email to support at yesterdaystractors.com.

There will be some extra steps to start. One time only.

1. You'll have to login the first time so you'll need your password (I think we talked about that earlier this year so you probably have it in email).

2. Once you are logged in, you'll have to click on your username and click on preferences.

3. In preferences, you'll have to check "Threaded View" which it says in the description "like Classic View".

4. Then also in preferences, you'll have to check the two boxes I put in there for you. They say "Hide quotes", and "Hide Avatars". These trim the display way down so it is just text like Classic view is.

I was also going to put in a box to hide smiley faces as you wanted, but it turned out that was not possible. May be able to revisit and figure that out after everyone's up and running.

I'm going to post all these instructions with pictures before the cutover. We'll probably cut over between Christmas and New Years since activity is really slow at that time. We'll be down for two hours while I move over all the data for the last time. It takes that long to load it in.

I can help you when it happens if necessary. I could even check the boxes for you, but I imagine I'm going to be way too busy for a few hours and you'll already want to be in by the time I'm done shifting things over.
 
(reply to post at 20:16:16 12/14/23)
Checkout
<New forums again> thread in this section.
You and your concerns are addressed.

To me it is sounding like we won't have to do anything different on our end to get into the forums.
After your in you can turn on or turn off features to suit you.

It sounds like to me.
 
4. Then also in preferences, you'll have to check the two
boxes I put in there for you. They say Hide quotes, and
Hide Avatars. These trim the display way down so it is just
text like Classic view is


Im going to assume we can change this preference at any
time. Such as try it without quotes but if that doesnt work for
us be able to go back and change it to include quotes.
 

To each his own--I get that--but it just baffles me why anyone would want to delete the quotes. They're part of what makes things simpler to understand and follow.
 
(quoted from post at 11:14:07 12/15/23)
To each his own--I get that--but it just baffles me why anyone would want to delete the quotes. They're part of what makes things simpler to understand and follow.
Me neither but it is to satisfy those that do not like change.

Which, for all the work that is required by Chris and Kim to make everyone happy, we should be paying a subscription fee to access the forums.


It is like stripping out all the features of a new tractor so that it is like a 1939 Ford 9n.
 
The quote hiding is a little smart. It won't hide quotes that someone put in to quote verbiage not related to the thread. It also doesn't remove quotes that relate to multi-quote (which still works even after I carved up the code). It removes the quote that automatically references the post being replied to. If you have the "threaded view" option checked, posts indent under who was replied to (within reason, you can only indent so far on a mobile device or large font desktop without a real mess) and the generic reply quote really isn't necessary then. They can still be turned off on the standard chronological view if you want to save space (because as Rich said in the other thread, it's not that hard to figure out who the post is replying to), but on either view, you can turn them on and off at will.

The selective hiding of quotes makes sure that if someone has important content in a quote, it won't hide that quote and the person viewing is forced to see it even if they checked the Hide box. Like if this was in a quote (which I won't here so the classic users can still see it, just pretend the next sentence is in a quote box):

In his post, Chris said: Cut over is between Christmas and New Years

It would still appear even if quoting was turned off.

It also won't hide additional quotes if the reply button was pressed on multiple messages. The post will thread in under the first reply button clicked, but down further in the message where the poster had clicked another reply button, the second and beyond quotes will remain since again it would be confusing without that. This is multithreading. This thread is a good example since I'm responding to a few of you but not everyone in the thread.

Hiding avatars does make sense because they take up a lot of screen space and once you've seen my avatar a few times, it becomes quite unnecessary to see it on all my posts.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top