Changing Oil in 8n

kyford8n

Member
I starting changing oil for the first time in my 8n. When I removed the drain plug I noticed there was no screen connected to it.

I waited until the oil finished draining and then noticed the screen appeared to be inside the pick up tube. I could move it around but could not pull it out without bending it. Is there a second screen that is supposed to be inside the tube and I am just missing the one on my drain plug? Or did someone push the screen into the tube for some other reason?
 
(quoted from post at 21:00:43 01/25/18) Do you think there is any harm in leaving it where it is, or should it be removed and put back on plug?
robably no harm, but does no good either as the oil does not pass thru it to get into pump. Yank it out and as Royse said, replace it.
 
Not to stir the pot here but I have been running my 9N for over 30 years without the screen. Engine never touched.
 
(quoted from post at 00:33:18 01/26/18) Not to stir the pot here but I have been running my 9N for over 30 years without the screen. Engine never touched.
ood for you! :)
 
(quoted from post at 21:33:18 01/25/18) Not to stir the pot here but I have been running my 9N for over 30 years without the screen. Engine never touched.

Many people who smoke and chew never get cancer and many who don't wear seat belts survive a bad crash. I prefer to be on the best side of probability myself.
 
Just another question to be sure I am on the right page.

When I look up into the drain hole the pick up tube is not centered over the drain hole. Should it be?? It is setting off to the side. Only about 1/3 of the large part of the tube is aligned with drain hole. I figured that was why they pushed the screen into the pick up tube since they did not align.
 
(quoted from post at 14:25:37 01/26/18) Just another question to be sure I am on the right page.

When I look up into the drain hole the pick up tube is not centered over the drain hole. Should it be?? It is setting off to the side. Only about 1/3 of the large part of the tube is aligned with drain hole. I figured that was why they pushed the screen into the pick up tube since they did not align.

yes. the screen should sit on the drain plug, and the pickup should be inside it when the drain plug is in place.
 
(quoted from post at 14:25:37 01/26/18) Just another question to be sure I am on the right page.

When I look up into the drain hole the pick up tube is not centered over the drain hole. Should it be?? It is setting off to the side. Only about 1/3 of the large part of the tube is aligned with drain hole. I figured that was why they pushed the screen into the pick up tube since they did not align.
f course it should be aligned, otherwise the screen on the drain plug wouldn't slip up into the bell of the pickup tube.
 
that's what I figured. I guess that was why they had the screen loose from the plug and pushed up into the bell of the pick up tube since they did not align.

I guess I will try to move the tube back into place. Hopefully I not break anything loose.
 
If'N it were me, I'd replace it, but not until the next oil change occurs. For $14 it is worth it. Sludge and crud -that is the purpose of the screen. Since your appears to be ripped off, perhaps the PO did an oil pump rebuild improperly and could not get the pickup tube aligned so he broke it off. I don't see other way that it could get busted otherwise.

Here's a link to a new plug...
OIL PAN DRAIN PLUG
 
(quoted from post at 13:25:01 01/26/18) that's what I figured. I guess that was why they had the screen loose from the plug and pushed up into the bell of the pick up tube since they did not align.

I guess I will try to move the tube back into place. Hopefully I not break anything loose.

I would be planning to remove the pan if I were going to try to move that intake that far. The leverage that you will be applying to the end of the tube will probably be too much for the silver older or whatever it is that secures the tube into the pump cover. If you were to apply the force close to the pump. You would be less likely yo have a problem.
 
That’s for the help everyone. I was able to get the tube pushed back over and aligned as it should be. Everything stayed tight and luckily nothing broke and I was able to get the screen back on the plug too. Looks like I can continue wit the oil change.

Thanks again
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top