Char-Lynn Power Steering Pump

cleddy

I am working on My Char-Lynn Power steering installed on a WD Allis Chalmers and the pump is not working. Any one have any success repairing them? It did work when parked about 20 years ago but been sitting
without oil in it for a long time. Last time I checked I think think a new pump was affordable-May not be now? Cleddy

I have seen several types of pumps on those. Our WD has the same pump that was used on Ford pickups 60s and 70s and when it went bad I ordered one from Rock Auto

You have to think it is something simple if it was working when parked. No wear could've happened from sitting. I've never worked on one of these even though I have one on one of my tractors. With some pumps it is suggested that they should be (re)assembled using vaseline to ensure prime. I guess an attempt wouldn't hurt?

think they are a "vane" style pump and the vane blades are now rusty and stuck in their grooves. Leaving one sit around without oil in it is bad.

To follow up I took the pump apart and besides the shaft having some end play with bronze bushings I could not see any thing wrong. The relief valve may have been stuck a little and the inside housing and rollers seem to be clean, Oily and in good condition. There may be wear on parts since the origin probably dates back to the 60's. There may be something to getting it to prime with Vaseline because it sure would not by driving around. Anyway as luck happens I remember having a pump laying around that I traded for about 40 years ago and after searching for a couple days found it. It has dust covers on ports and except for brackets and tank is exactly the same only with ball bearings. Thats what I am going to try and take advantage of keeping it all this time!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back