charging and boiling battery dry

I have a 300 utility which I converted to 12v using a kit from Charlieu. My problem is the ammeter is always showing its charging and its boiling the battery dry. The only electricals I have hooked up is the ignition and charging system.
what should I be looking at?
 
A "bad" battery can act the same way, continue to draw charging current and get hot and stinky.

The test would be to check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine revved up to at least mid RPM's.

Any reading above 14.5 Volts or so would point to a bad (internal) voltage regulator.

A lower reading, perhaps 13.5 Volts, or less, with the battery boiling would point to a "bad" battery. (Shorted or leaky cell.)
 
If all, especially the Voltage Regulator, is working correct the charge rate should back off once the battery becomes charged, I SUSPECT A FAULTY REGULATOR. If the battery is okay with no shorted cells (maybe have a shop test it just to be safe and check each cell with a hydrometer) I would expect voltage to be in the 14+ range for a period but then back down to 13+ to 14 subject to Voltage Regulator and Battery.

On Alternators the "Voltage Sense Circuit" must be in place, working and wired correct so it can register battery voltage so it knows when to slow down the charge rate. I don't know what you have, One Wire or Three Wire Alternator, but the old three wires had the 2F voltage sense connected to the battery.

Check with the seller they may just get you a new one.

John T
 
I think he uses the Hitachi with integral regulator.

The ammeter should show a little bit of charge all the time. There should be two wires hooked up on the little plug, one is excite with diode that goes to ignition, the other is the sense which should go to the output post on the alternator. It is possible that the alternator is bad, but not likely. I would make sure you have good connections including grounds. It is also important to check battery voltage in case it is bad.
 
I tested it today and before starting the battery is 12.75 then 13.5 at idle and 14.75 at pto rpm.
I will take the battery to the store and get it tested one day this week
Thanks
 
Those voltages indicate voltage regulation issue, but still doubt bad regulator, but connection issue.
 
14.75 (if accurate) is on the HIGH side. If the voltage sensing circuitry isn't accurate there could be a loose/resistive connection or its just a faulty voltage regulator circuit. Continuous 14.75 volt high current charging is going to damage the battery.

John T
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top