charlynn pump

ducky 55

New User
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a question about my charlynn power steering pump. I was told i could use 5-30 motor oil in it instead of regular power steering fluid. Is this correct? Its on my Farmall M. Thanks
 
A power steering system is hydraulic, so ATF of any kind would be
a better choice than motor oil. Someone here can tell you if there
is a preference between ATF types.
 
well in the summer time i dont think it matters one iota waht kind of fluid is in there. it will work. use atf, use hyd. fluid, use motor
oil, use hytran, pick one. heres one for you... when i was working on the rigs the driller's car automatic trans line sprung a leak . so he
fixed it somehow then had a pail of 80-90 gear oil in his trunk . he poured that in and made it to work. the real funny thing was he was indian. he said crazy indians do anything. lol.
 
Back in about 1964 my dad put a new Charlyn power steering unit on our Oliver 770. I believe the instruction book called for
Type F ATF. At that time I think type F was for Ford products. Over the years I always added ATF fluid and unit still
works good today. So I would use ATF fluid rather than motor oil. Al
 
Back in the 80's we had problems with Allison transmissions shifting incorrectly with Dextron. The fix from Allison was to use 15-40
motor oil instead. The shifting problems were gone. My opinion in this case is about any oil will probably work fine.
 
from the char lynn installation manual

cvphoto94367.jpg
 
If you are using a common reservoir like for the rear couplers and steering I would use the hyrdaulic oil like Hytran. If a separate reservoir then you can us whatever you like for oil. That's how I would do it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top