Chinese stuff

JDEM

Some of the Chinese stuff I've gotten lately has been of surprising good quality. When they start making nuclear weapons
for $150 each, we will be in big trouble. And yeah, I've heard lots of moaning about Chinese "junk' which also exists. Just
as Japanese "junk" often was in the late 50s.

A few recent experiences. Note I am still recovering from a 800-mile move and still replacing equipment I sold.

#1 I needed a small log-splitter. "Small" means something 5-6 horse and self-powered instead of the three-point monster on
the back of my tractor that runs with a PTO pump. Tractor Supply had what I wanted on-sale. Same price I had my pick of a
USA Kohler motor or a Chinese motor. First thought was picking the Kohler. Three of them there and we could not get any of
them running. In fact, nobody there could even figure out, for sure, what the "plus" and "minus" controls meant. Note it is
not even explained in the Kohler manual. I then tried the model with the Chinese motor and it started first pull. And
besides the binary "plus" and "minus" markings, it also had "on" and "off" and "open" and "closed." So it seems the Chinese
speak and write better English them the people at Kohler do.

#2 I needed a small rear-tine, walk-behind tiller for cultivating potatoes. I have a three-point tiller and also a 8 HP
Troybuilt but needed something smaller and lighter. Again - I had a choice of two same-price machines. Kohler started up OK
after 8 pulls but ran lean. Even when hot and there was no main-jet adjustment. So I then tried the one with the Chinese
motor. One pull it started and ran perfectly.

#3 The carb was bad on my 8 HP Troybuilt tiller. Has an 8 horse Briggs & Stratton I/C engine that is likely early 1980s
vintage or late 70s. I have tried to fix the carb many times and gave up. Looks fine inside, all is adjusted right - but it
runs erratically. I have had three 8 horse Briggs do the same thing with the same carb problem. New carb is over $100 from
Briggs. I took a chance and got a new Chinese carb on Ebay for $12 shipped to my door. No tax, no shipping fee. I cursed it
at first when I tried to install because it is drilled and tapped all metric. After finding some proper metric hardware to
install - it started and ran so good - is almost scared me.

#4 I was using my old 70s Bolens garden tractor that has a cast-iron 12 HP Wisconsin engine. The exhaust pipe fell off the
engine. It is 1 1/4 pipe thread and the threads in the engine were pretty much gone. Biggest pipe tap I had was 1" so I
went looking for a 1 1/4" pipe-tap. To my surprise, a local place had one for $85. I refused to spend that much. I looked on
Ebay and found one from China for $14. I figured it would be low quality but also figured I'd only use it once and never
again. So I got it. To my surprise, it is excellent quality and I got new threads tapped my USA made engine pretty quick.

Not related to your post,,,but,,,Did you bring the Case tractor with you? I always liked the picture of you planting corn with the Case and the Ford 309 two row planter,Do you miss NY state?

I'm redoing our kitchen and needed some drawer slides. the good kind, full extension, ball bearing kind that typically go for 20-30 bucks/pr.

Decided to try some from ebay, Chinese but shipped from CA. $8/pr delivered to my door. Great looking/feeling/working.

My thoughts are that they are capable of building anything the world wants to pay for. Unfortunately, a lot of us only want to pay for junk. Well, not us, like you and me, but the folks that actually spec and pay for the stuff, and, more importantly, reap the profit from junk.

To me, pride in worksmanship should extend to the things I sell, not just what I make. Guess they don't teach that in MBA courses.

As a past farmer and equipment dealer and property owner I've had a ton of experience with all sorts of Chinese built products (mechanical and electrical) over many many years and its no surprise to me that I found.

Some was JUNK Some was well built

Sort of what one would expect (lots of vendors and products out there) and its no surprise to me. Of course, others may have different experience, they may have been fortunate to have purchased good quality built products and likewise, others may have been UNfortunate and purchased poor quality JUNK lol

Best wishes and good luck with products, be they made in the USA or China or elsewhere

John T

You can do 99 things right and what people will remember is the one thing you did wrong. Same thing about the complaints. You will hear about them more than the good things.

When we ship items to Japan, they must conform to everything on the print. If one thing is questionable, the whole order is going to be shipped back. When Japan started out to be a World Market provider, they had poor quality. It took years for them to get their quality up to World class.

China will get there. They may have already turned that corner, but unfortunately, we have too good of memory and we are too slow to see the changes.

I don't think the problem is can the Chinese build good stuff - its whats asked of them to build. Companies go there to produce as cheap as possible and some of them are giving them cheap specs to do it. The Chinese can build good stuff if you want good stuff. Usually good stuff and cheap aren't the same thing.

I bought a set of cheap Duracraft wrenches at Farm and Fleet about ten years ago. Paid $18.95 for a set of stuff from 3/8 to 1 1/4. I have abused those things with all sorts of cheater pipes, etc. I have never bent or broken a one.

The bad part is it was probably cast by some 8 year old in sandals who made 10 cents a day and lives in a place where you can't see the sun through the smog...

There was a time when made in Japan meant the same as today made in China. Not we think of cars imported from Japan to be better than made in USA. If you research things made in China, you may find US companies have made large plants in China. Black and Decker make many tools there. Recently bought a new Dewalt tool. On the box it said MADE IN USA and in small print it says from imported parts or something like that.

Like many things, parts are made world wide and assembled in USA. I'm guessing it's for tax reasons, not sure, just guessing.
geo.

YOU think of cars made in japan better than US, I dont, still try to buy made in the USA as much as I can, you can have your cheep junk

Wasn't it jm. who was saying recently that on some trip he was shown three different grades of products made there? A heavy product made for their domestic use,a mid grade product,then light junk that they said was for export to the US. It's not the Chinese who are to blame. It's US buyers who demand cheap junk from them.

If JDEM got some good stuff,there must be some US buyers who are finally buying their better products.

Japanese auto quality exceeded USA auto quality in the 70s. Then slowly, USA quality creeped back up, often by copying Japanese techniques. Kind of sad in a way. The Japanese were are are famous for copying what works instead of reinventing the wheel. They copying many designs from the USA and Europe. Then in the 70s, USA auto makers started copying the Japanese.

Not sure what you are calling "cheep junk." Can you be more specific?

I sold all my Cases but kept the Ford two-row planter. My only old tractors here in Michigan that I brought up from NY are my Deere 1010 crawler, IH B275, Deere 300B backhoe/loader and Oliver HG crawler. I also have a Case VAC-14 here along with a Ford 641 and an IH 3414 backhoe/loader.

I don't miss NY at all, other then some of the mountain views. The endless miles of forestland here, along with virgin shorelines of Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, and Lake Superior make up for that.

I have to go back to the "police state" of NY next month for my daughter's wedding near Syracuse. I really do not want to go but guess I must. We are going to camp there, and get in and out as fast as possible. I worry that somehow Chuck Schumer and Andrew Cuomo will find a way to trap me there. We might take the trip in our 1978 Toyota micro-motorhome. We'll see.

Somehow the "Buy made in the USA" doesn't carry through. I see people post that quite often. Then a few posts down the page they are posting about problems with their Chevy, Ford or Dodge. I had my Toyota Tundra for 14 years and never experienced any of those problems.

Written on a computer made in China.

Face it, it's a world economy.

Ming Dynasty vases were of acceptable quality, by the way, before the US was and Europe was in the Middle Ages.

I too prefer to buy made in USA, and I drive an American made Honda.

Here is how my last trip to NY went. We drove through Michigan. Then Ohio. Then Pennsylvania. Hardly saw any police. As soon as we crossed the New York line onto Interstate # 86 we saw State Troopers maybe every 20 miles. Not too far into New York, when we got to the American Indian owned city of Salamanca, the Interstate was closed. All traffic was detoured through the middle of the town and it was mayhem. We were driving a 1988 Toyota micro-mini motorhome. Just when we got to a kind of dangerous single-lane detour - a New York State trooper got behind me with his lights flashing. I refused to pull over at first because there was a big semi-truck heading my way. When I finally found a less-dangerous place to stop - the Trooper looked as if he was going to shoot me. Ends up he pulled me over in the middle of an Interstate detour - because he thought my New York motor-vehicle inspection sticker was out of date. I explained to him that since I was a Michigan resident, with New York plates, I had 30 days after crossing the NY border to get an inspection. I knew the law and this trooper did not. Note - a very unfriendly guy. So I got a ticket. I then refused to pay the fine or plead guilty and at first - they wanted me to later come back to New York for a hearing. So I called the judge and sent him paperwork from the NY DMV proving I was correct and the trooper was wrong. The judge said he agreed with me - but . . He did not want to do anything without permission from the county district attorney. After a month of many phone calls - the district attorney said they would drop the case against me. I asked for that decision in writing and never got it.

While I have been one of those who has complained about "Chinese junk", I am also one who has said that their quality control is getting much better. I've also said for a long time that there is still a bit of a mindset there of just building as quickly and cheaply as possible, then dealing with any reject later, thereby keeping costs down. What made that so difficult a concept for us was that we were coming out of a period of exceptional manufacturing prowess here in the USA. Likewise, prices were reflecting the near-absolute-perfection of our products! ...Which is why people kept buying the "real" junk early on. Yes, it's a vicious cycle, but one that we (as a nation) have perpetuated.

I recently bought one of the cheapest portable belt sanders I've ever seen in my life! ...Cheapest in "cost", yet also the best-running! Bought it from Amazon, where I pay $99/year for Prime shipping. Have been a Prime member for quite some time now and, due to our extreme remoteness to any "modern" sales facilities, we order a LOT from there!! It amazes me how we can go online and do our shopping in ease and convenience, have much more options/colors/styles/sizes/powers/names to choose from, and have it delivered to our door for less than what I could buy it for in town, provided I could find it in the first place! Amazon has been great! Yes, I get a bum something-or-other now and then, but Amazon makes it right. And when I read reviews, it's usually pretty easy to tell the folks who base everything on each individual experience and those who actually critic products, and then decide whether or not to give the same product another try.

Until this morning, I was sitting in a new office chair. The padding in my old chair was beginning to flatten out and get uncomfortable, so I bought one that was considerably more expensive and looked well made. And, for the most part it IS well made. But there is a primary design flaw that was well-hidden in the advertising in that the all-metal base sticks out beyond the casters nearly an inch, making a surprisingly perfect place to bang the back of your ankles into! I have a very bad ankle injury from high school that gives me much pain now - I don't need more from my chair! So will be boxing this behemoth of a chair up and returning it next week at no charge to me - don't even have to leave the house! It'll be going back the same day the new one arrives.

I will readily admit that I am getting much more resistant to many of the changes in this world, but mostly having to do with the never-ending use of electronics and high-technology. Oftentimes I want (or NEED!) something that is designed very simple and built like a tank - something I can rely on no matter what. Used to be that was most anything "Made in USA". Then went through the "[i:175f8902df]If I want it done right, [b:175f8902df]BUILD IT MYSELF![/b:175f8902df][/i:175f8902df]" phase. Am now in the process of moving over into the phase of accepting that I can get most everything I need, priced lower than I expected, delivered to my front door with no worries of getting a lemon even though it's made in China thanks to free returns.

....But for now, I still reserve the right to call it "China junk". :wink: :lol:

(quoted from post at 11:07:46 06/17/17) Here is how my last trip to NY went. We drove through Michigan. Then Ohio. Then Pennsylvania. Hardly saw any police. As soon as we crossed the New York line onto Interstate # 86 we saw State Troopers maybe every 20 miles. Not too far into New York, when we got to the American Indian owned city of Salamanca, the Interstate was closed. All traffic was detoured through the middle of the town and it was mayhem. We were driving a 1988 Toyota micro-mini motorhome. Just when we got to a kind of dangerous single-lane detour - a New York State trooper got behind me with his lights flashing. I refused to pull over at first because there was a big semi-truck heading my way. When I finally found a less-dangerous place to stop - the Trooper looked as if he was going to shoot me. Ends up he pulled me over in the middle of an Interstate detour - because he thought my New York motor-vehicle inspection sticker was out of date. I explained to him that since I was a Michigan resident, with New York plates, I had 30 days after crossing the NY border to get an inspection. I knew the law and this trooper did not. Note - a very unfriendly guy. So I got a ticket. I then refused to pay the fine or plead guilty and at first - they wanted me to later come back to New York for a hearing. So I called the judge and sent him paperwork from the NY DMV proving I was correct and the trooper was wrong. The judge said he agreed with me - but . . He did not want to do anything without permission from the county district attorney. After a month of many phone calls - the district attorney said they would drop the case against me. I asked for that decision in writing and never got it.
o just for curiosity how long have you been a Michigan resident and why as a Michigan resident are you running New York tags?

When this event happened in New York, I had been living in Michigan for 3-4 months and had just gotten my Michigan driver's
license. Motorhome still had NY registration and insurance with a few months left on it.

Yeah - stupid question in response to silly post but . . . why should of I "moved to China" and also, why the past tense?

I kind of wonder what people have against China anyway. They are simply in their "industrial revolution" as we once were. Now
the USA is big and fat and China is working hard. Chinese certainly worked hard here in the US in the 1800s until our
politicians dreamed up the "Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882."

I have 3 Harbor Freight 6.5 HP engines. One for the log splitter, one for the Tiller and one as a back-up.

The other day, I dumped some badly contaminated rusty,watery gas in the tiller engine. It ran really rough and stalled.

I took the carb off and tried to clean it out. Still running rough but getting better.

Anyway, I searched for carb rebuild kits on the 'net'. Found them for around $14.00. Then I thought I would search for replacement carbs. I found them complete with gaskets for $11 and some odd cents plus free shipping. Just bolt them on and ready to go. I just ordered 3 carbs from amazon and they will be here Monday.

Can't beat that.

We have American made cars, a Toyota, a Subaru and a Honda. The Ford Truck and Dodge Van were made in Canada and the last Ford car in Mexico

Chinese "Junk"

LOL !
a163124.jpg

A "world economy" really means shipping all of out manufacturing capacity to third world countries that have no OSHA, no EPA, and no unions. Along with manufacturing goes our jobs.
That whole "world economy" thing needs to be reined in and regulated.

Not this year but last year my carrot seed was grown in China. I am not talking a packet. I buy by the bucket full.

Not A bit cheaper though.

(quoted from post at 22:13:40 06/17/17) A "world economy" really means shipping all of out manufacturing capacity to third world countries that have no OSHA, no EPA, and no unions. Along with manufacturing goes our jobs.
That whole "world economy" thing needs to be reined in and regulated.

I agree 100%.

I see the price went up a few bucks. I just ordered another since this one worked so well. I have two more machines with 8 HP Briggs with the same issues.
a163180.jpg

a163181.jpg

a163182.jpg

a163183.jpg

Originally, the cars we call made in USA today, were imported from Japan. Now they have plants in USA, most likely import tax. I recall were imposed on all imported cars in the 70's.

The Japanese showed us we had to improve not only our cars, but motorcycles too. Today, many people love Toyota even, though they are now made in USA, they were imported from Japan.

More often than not when I see the price of something like that carb I say "How in the heck can they possibly make that for that price". Then I think about the regulations we have to deal with and what that adds to the cost. Not sure who is the winner maybe something in the middle between us and China would be the best for everyone.

(quoted from post at 06:07:31 06/18/17) More often than not when I see the price of something like that carb I say "How in the heck can they possibly make that for that price". Then I think about the regulations we have to deal with and what that adds to the cost. Not sure who is the winner maybe something in the middle between us and China would be the best for everyone.

Well, I was just doing some armchair shopping for a new stick welder on Amazon. Ran across a couple of very nice prospects. One is made in China and rated 250A @ 60% duty cycle (inverter DC) and the other is 300A, same duty cycle, same type machine, but comes from Ukraine. ....Am not at all familiar with anything from Ukraine OR Russia, but am leaning towards the China model for the simple fact that the Ukraine model is all in foreign language. 250A is $229 Prime (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKQ7K4Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2K0PTR37CGSDC&psc=1) and the 300A (https://www.amazon.com/Welding-inve...&sr=8-1&keywords=300a+inverter+welder) is $232.50 + $4.49 S&H.

Anyway, in reply to BobReeves post, I'm not really sure I would prefer to buy from Russia (or Ukraine) as an alternative to China. What other alternatives are there? India? Mexico? Korea? I would very much like to see the USA become a strong and proud manufacturer again, but with more reasonable prices. Don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

I don't know about eating Chinese carrots. Seems like if you ate one,you'd be hungry again in a few hours. LOL

Remember back in the 1950's and 1960's when "Made in Japan" meant "Junk"? The Japanese changed that around in a hurry, some Chinese manufactures have too. Cost, quality, and time to delivery: pick any two to determine the third.

I've noticed the Chinese stuff being a lot better quality lately too. I would much rather buy "Made in the USA" but it's getting almost impossible, plus the USA brand isn't what it used to be. I've bought some made is the USA stuff that is pure junk too, my last pair of Redwing boots that were supposedly made in the USA literally fell apart at the seams in just a few months while the made in China Ariat boots that I have on now are over 2 years old, used the same way. If the quality was still there I would pay more for USA but not for junk. I still think the machined USA parts are better quality but depending on how hard the part is to replace determines whether or not I pay the difference in price.

I see that in the middle of this someone brought up the kid working in a sweatshop for very little money. Another way to look at child labor in some countries? If that kid didn't have that job they would be laying in a ditch dead of starvation. Yea the conditions those kids work in is terrible but the alternative is worse.

Big part of the issue here is that we think of someone living in poverty drawing welfare and being on the SNAP program. Lot of the 3rd world countries don't have that safety net. They literally work or die. So all the do gooders who yelled and screamed about kids working in sweatshops did was kill the kids who lost jobs because people stopped buying what they were making.

No I'm not a terrible person. But I do look at how things are, not how they should be. The reality of it is those kids have to have work to survive.

Rick

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back