Cleaning stainless steel sink/counter

Stan in Oly, WA

I have a 5' stainless steel kitchen counter with built in sink and backsplash. It came from the house my wife grew up in, and is more than 50 years old (although it has been in storage for the past 25). I would like to clean it up to use it or sell it. It has hardened mastic and paint around its edges where it was against the back and side walls and the regular counter. What would be the best way to remove these without scratching it? Then, what would be the best way to shine it up? Thanks.

Stan

Mary Hunt has a column called cheapskate dot com(?). She has covered this subject many times. Of course my Swiss cheese memory can not recall it. I do know that she is a big fan of Barkeepers Friend. It does say on the container that it is safe for Stainless steel and chrome.
SDE

Can't remember if Barkeeper's Friend can cause minute scratches like Comet does, but I would use Never-Dull Magic Wadding Polish to clean the SS surface. However, after re-reading your post, it seems you're asking about the hard mastic adhesive. In that case, I can only suggest to use mild heat to soften the mastic, but only enough to make it pliable again, so that it can be peeled or lightly scrapped off. Then maybe go over those areas with Never-Dull, as well as a plastic putty knife.

2X the heat. To finish up look at the surface to see the direction of the grain. I don't know for sure that they were doing it back then but stainless steel sheet is normally finished so that it has a grain. If you use a nylon scrubby stroking in the direction of the gray you can get it shiny bright and still looking almost like new.

I replaced our counter top a while back and the wife was grumbling about the condition of the brushed stainless sink. I tried an automotive sanding pad with a piece of 200 grit garnet paper. I sanded with the original brushing and it restored the look just fine.

Barkeepers friend is great stuff. There used to be Copper Glow but they were bought out by barkeepers. I just cleaned the trailer 4 pin connector for the marker lights with barkeepers. Make sure you wash it really well and grease the begabbers out of it with silicone grease. You know you have enough if it squishes every time you plug it in. For getting glues off the toughest strongest solvent stuff you can buy is MEK. I think Lowes still carries it. Good paint stores too. Instant destruction on plastics. Accidentally dissolved a T V remote a couple of years ago. Only 1/2 of a cup splashed on it did the job. Test a little spot with 4X steelwool or a Brillo pad. Also a brass Chore Boy pad.

You're thinking of comet. That stuff will even mess up porcelain
sinks. Love barkeepers. Just remember to wear plastic gloves.
Barkeepers uses a mild acid that will slowly start to eat your skin.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back