rlandrum

New User
I have adjusted the clutch on my B and it still grinds a little
when I first put it in gear even after waiting a minute or two.
After it first engages it then shifts with no grinding in all gears.
Any help appreciated!

Do you idle it low as it will go first shift , most of the oil is in differential ,after the slinger gets going oil will help shift , thats I try

Your clutch is dragging. Most likely the pilot bearing/bushing is the culprit. Or the disk itself might have a bit of grease on it, may be slightly warped.

I just ran into the same problem last week on my B. When I put the tractor back together I had some difficulty the last couple inches with wanting to go together easily, which should have been my red flag back then. With the clutch depressed it would grind and wouldn't go into gear. I had installed a new pilot bushing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I tried starting the tractor with the clutch pedal down and in third gear like it was recommended by some good folks on here thinking it might help if something was stuck, but that didn't work. I ended up splitting the tractor and basically discovered that the transmission shaft was stuck in the new pilot bushing, not allowing the shaft to pull away when needed. I didn't dry fit that bushing on the tip of the shaft before I installed, so I don't know if the ID was originally too small, or I caused it to mushroom in while I was driving the new bushing into the crank (I used a bearing/seal driver that matched the ID/OD of the bushing).

Either way, I recleaned up my transmission shaft with some emery cloth and cleaned out the crank for the bushing. I ordered another pilot bushing that arrived a couple days ago and it dry fits fine on the tip of the shaft. When I drive the bushing into the crank I will make sure that when I reattach the tractor that the shaft is snug, but free inside the bushing.

Okay, if once you get it in gear continue to hold the clutch down. Shift it in neutral count 1001, 1002 then shift it back in gear. If it does not grind the clutch is releasing fine. You can split it a 100 times and not get it any better than that. There is no sycronization in the transmission to match the gear speeds. If it releases in the test above you are just dealing with the spinning inertia of the clutch plate gears and shaft. When you say a minute or two does that mean you are holding the clutch down a minute or two? Do you really know how long that is? You have to quit judging time as you perceive it during that action required to make babies. I know I cannot rely on that to keep my better half happy, in my case it is all about the $$! 8 - )

Make sure your free play is correct, mostly by clearance at the throw out bearing and fork. Also make sure your transmission is full of oil to the correct level. The oil level does help stop the momentum of the rotating mass of gears. Mark.

The only adjustment you have is pedal free play, and if you're anywhere near the correct amount, no adjustment will help this.

Most likely the pilot bearing is dragging ever so slightly judging by your description that it works fine once you get it in gear the first time. It should get better with time and use.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back