CNH parts for the N

Paul in MN

Yesterday I did a tune up on a front mount 1947 8N.I had bought the electrical tune up kit from my CNH dealer a few months ago. When I opened the package, what did my eyes discover?? Oh, the points were made in Tiawan. They did look to be good, but would not fit over the point adjustment screw (with the X head) until I took the dremel tool to that slot in the points base. The rotor in the kit would bearly fit on the dist shaft. It took some real effort to get it into place. The gaskets in the kit were of poor quality, although the cork gasket for the square box coil did fit, and the cork ring for the dist cap was OK. With some disappointment and being a bit disgusted with the CNH kit, I went to NAPA for the new dist cap ($17). I thought the price was a bit high, but the Echlin quality looked good, and it did not fight with the rotor. My son picked up a new ignition key switch for CNH, (about $12) but the nut to hold the switch in place was an additional $8. Sure enough the thread part of the switch is just a bit smaller than the old switch, and so the old nut can not be reused. The new key switch looked very cheap with a plastic section that the key fits into. The diameter of the switch body is maybe about 1/2 the diameter of the old one. All of this was for a customer's tractor, and I sure hope that it doesn't come back because of poor parts.

Oh and the new condenser is about 1/2 the size of the old one, and doesn't fit right until the anchor strap is modified, and is fully corroded with some white corosion on the metal covering of the conderser body. So I put the old one back in. The condenser is part of the low voltage circuit, and the outside case is part of that circuit. As Dell would say, "brighty, tighty!" and I was not going to spend a bunch of time polishing the corrosion off the new condenser, so I hope the old one is good enough.

I think CNH is driving me to do all the electrical parts sourcing from NAPA. After all the wasted time of fighting with ill fitting parts, paid for in premium $$ to the CNH dealer, I was just PO'ed.

So I did a big welding job today instead of fixing another 8N that is in the line of customer's tractors to be fixed. I had to let my temper cool off a bit before looking at another N, and finding that I will not get good parts for what it needs.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Paul in MN

The word has been out around here for several years to get top quality electrical parts from a Standard Ignition dealer or perhaps NAPA.

But, like most other things, some didn't get the memo!

(BTW, "CNH" = FIAT = "fix it again, Tony"!

Borg Warner is still making points for the old Ford V8.The V8 has dual points and the right hand set is the same as the Ford tractor.In general replacing all the parts in an ignition is a waste of money.A good set of points and condensor will last for many years.I have a set of points in my 640 marked Motorcraft that have been working for 24 years now.I check the gap when the spring work starts.A white film on a condensor says it been kept in damp conditions.I test condensors instead of replacing them.

CNH is now getting some parts from TISCO, including junk tune up kits. This site carries Standard Ignition Blue Streak points and nnalert carries some good points at a decent price. I would take the extra time and order parts from one of those suppliers before buying that cheap CNH TISCO stuff. If that was TISCO points you installed the customer will be calling soon because the points will close up.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back