coasting in nuetral TRUE or False

The new CVT transmissions can tolerate coasting down long grades on the highway .TRUE or FALSE ? THIS Fact I know , It is illegal in Indiana to roll out of gear especially a vehicle hauling freight or a school bus. No doubt that rule applies in all states ,,. True Or False ?

I would recommend only accepting an answer in the form of a reference to a page in the owner's manual, or record of a direct communication from the tractor manufacturer such as an email.

HOWEVER. my guess is you will not get an answer to your question because it does not exist. I don't know anyone short of Whistlindiesel that would risk an expensive repair several-hundred-thousahd-dollar tractor trying it "for science."

At best, the tractor manufacturers are going to say that they do not recommend coasting the tractor in neutral. That does not mean that it can not be done. So your question will not be answered by the manufacturer. They may flat out say NO, but even then that doesn't mean it can not be done. It just means they don't want the liability from telling you that you can.

First 2 cars I drove were Ramblers, 3 on the tree and the automatic 4th gear. 4th was freewheeling. If you know what Im talking about you know, if you dont it will take a while to explain....!

IHC 300 with the torq, one of the first couple tractors I drove, still have it, with the torq back it freewheeled now that could get exciting on our rolling hills and the poor poor disc brakes those have.....

I guess I was a free wheeling dude in my young days!

Paul

X2 Barnyard,

Some say that wistlediesel clown is OK but
I say anyone who can destroy what he
destroys and laugh about it is a 14 carrot
idiot.

We use to call pushing the clucth in to speed up on hill Kentucky overdrive. (Southern Indiana slang)

(quoted from post at 12:47:18 09/18/23) X2 Barnyard,

Some say that wistlediesel clown is OK but
I say anyone who can destroy what he
destroys and laugh about it is a 14 carrot
idiot.

My intention wasn't to "pile" on WD here. In fact quite the opposite.

WD would be the perfect person to test this premise. He'd be willing to take the risk, because the video of him flying downhill at 60-70-80+MPH in a Fendt would pay for the the tractor many times over.

I personally have no problem with what he does with his own personal property, on his own personal property. These are just material things, replaceable. When you get upset over what he does, he wins.

He obviously has his following since he is
becoming wealthy doing what he does and
that speaks more than a few words about
todays culture. In your world he is OK, in
mine he is an idiot, there room for both
of us,, luckily.

Some transmissions have a coast feature and some don't. It's actually there to increase fuel mileage. My Taurus will coast while the wife's Fusion will only coast 5 mph over the set speed before the computer slows it down with the transmission. No idea about a CVT.

When I was a kid there was a fellow down the road from us who built a contraption for fast road travel using a car rear end and a transmission of some sort, it looked like a 2 wheel trailer with PTO shaft. For fast road travel with his Farmal M tractor he left it in neutral and powered the trailer by the PTO. He was never clocked by anyone I knew of but guestimated 35 or so by most people who saw him go down the road. It had a rear hitch to pull something but never seen anything heavy behind it.

(quoted from post at 20:39:33 09/18/23) First 2 cars I drove were Ramblers, 3 on the tree and the automatic 4th gear. 4th was freewheeling. If you know what Im talking about you know, if you dont it will take a while to explain..

Paul

I know exactly what you mean...Borg-Warner built many overdrive tranny's used by peactically all car mfgrs.
I have had many Fords with "3-speed and overdrive since my first in a '51 F ord Convertible.
I even installed a '56 Ford O.D. in my brand new "75 F-100 and I have 5 or 6 of those trannys lying around the place yet today. I rebuilt a few when I wore a younger man's clothes.
When working as designed, they only "freewheel" up to about 22 MPH and they do "hold back" going down hill equivalent to any modern car with an O.D. tranny.

Quote. It is illegal in Indiana to roll out of gear especially a vehicle hauling freight or a school bus.

End Quote.

Volvo trucks have an option that does just that. EcoRoll is what they call it. Trans shifts to neutral and lets it coast. Of course computer controlled, so it knows when to shift back into gear before things get out of hand.

If you are referring to tractors with a CVT transmission, I cant figure why you would even attempt it. Most modern tractors will travel 25 mph plus. Some European ones will run 30-35. Things can get interesting pretty quick in a tractor at those speeds.

I just put 3000 miles of hill and mountain driving with a Subaru CVT equipped Outback. The System has a Set ratio 6 position manual control on the shift pattern with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. We used the Manual position at every opportunity on long doen grades, (some at 10% most at 8%. In some cases we were on switchbacks and going in 3rd ratio to help with braking. there were zero issues with the system. Even when in pure CVT the car responds to lifting your foot by using modest engine braking. Jim

I believe it's illegal to coast in California. It's hard for me not too. Not many straight level roads where I live. Motor is still idling probably not saving much.
stan

There's a lot of CVT transmissions out there to say they all can free wheel without damage.

I would think a CVT would practically freewheel down hills without putting the shifter in neutral given how they are set up - as long as the engine is running it is as if the transmission went into
to some super overdrive to let the engine run so slow.

Nissans have lots of issues just driving normal - let alone free wheeling. Subaru seems to have their CVTs figured out and they are used mostly in small/smaller vehicles. That is where the CVT seems to make the most sense. Ford tried CVTs in their fairly large Ford 500/Freestyle back in the mid 2000s. Those things were a joke and made an already slow under powered vehicle even slower. After a couple years of trying they dropped the 500 name and called it a Taurus and put an automatic with overdrive back in the car/SUV - along with a bigger engine.

Does the under and over drive on the Oliver and early White's constitute this as if left in the position it will roll down a hill in gear?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back