Comprehensive source for Farmall B specs?

J Huff

New User
Hello, I am preparing to retrieve the Farmall B that i grew up on... which is in need of a top end rebuild.

I have been googling for days and cannot find a good online source for Specifications & procedures. Is there no such online source? Do I need to break down and buy the manual?

Info I am looking for (Basically everything): Torque specs, ring gap specs, valve adjustment procedures, etc... am Also interested in other procedures such as clutch adjustment and the like.
 
There is no such online reference. You need to break down and buy the manuals.

An Owner's Manual for basics (lube points, brake and clutch adjustment . . .), and the IH Blue Ribbon Service Manual for mechanical specs, tolerances and R&R procedures. If you end up getting deep enough into it, the Parts Catalog with its blow-up illustrations of assemblies can be a big help in noodling out how things come apart and go back together.

I did a motor job and overhauled other parts of A SuperC that I had I hadn't torn down a motor since I was a kid. Then I tracked down the BN that I grew up on. It was in a shape that required a complete teardown, every bolt, seal and bearing. The experience with the motor on the Super C was helpful when I got after the BN but, in both cases, the manuals were invaluable. It's worth the money to have them.

They sell them in the store on the site here. I think theirs come from JenSales. I prefer those from external_link, which tend to be on heavier, more durable paper and the quality of reproduction (especially of the photos) seems to be better.
 
Thank you for the valuable information. I do have a couple remaining questions though.

I have located "binder books" manuals and see an operation, service (engine and chasis), and clutch manual. (http://www.external_link/letter.htm)

I see no mention of a "blue ribbon" service manual there, is this one essentially the same? I am also curious whether I will need the "clutch" manual for details on clutch adjustment... I would assume not, But I have learned not to assume too much. :)
 
Yes, their GSS-5031 is the Blue Ribbon Manual I referred to. It has all the torque, ring gap and other specs. I've been through two tractors with mine and use it regularly to help folks out on the Farmall board, and it's still going strong.

I've never actually seen the clutch service manual, but would say it's not something you need. If it's like some other unit-specific manuals that I have for the Super C (like the Touch Control), it would be overkill for anything you might run into for basic problems. The most common adjustment to the clutch, freeplay at the pedal, is actually covered in the most basic of the manuals, the Owner's Manual, with more detail in the Service Manual. If your clutch acts up with the freeplay right, come back around here or the Farmall board on this site, and somebody will help you out. It's nice that the clutch manual is available, but I'd mark it as a low priority.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top