Compressor Tank

Gene Davis (Ga.)

Hello. This is the compressor I use for inflating the tires and also for an impact wrench when working on my tractors. So that makes it a tractor related subject.
It is a 1938 year model Curtis 2 cylinder two stage unit, one year older than me. I mounted it on a slightly used 60 gallon tank set up when I bought it in the early 1970's as it was originally on a riveted tank. I replaced the cylinder head gasket, cleaned the valves and installed an oil bath air cleaner before mounting it on the tank. It has worked fine ever since. Last week the pressure switch contacts welded together and obviously the safety pop off valve didn't open. It reached almost 200 PSI. Last Thursday night I heard the compressor running too long from outside the building and went in and threw the breaker to shut it down then just left it all night. The breaker is in the office part of my shop and the compressor is in the main shop part of the building
The next day when I replaced the switch and started it up, to check for other problems I heard air leaking from the tank. After looking carefully I discovered a leak at one of the seams so I shut it down and disconnected the wire from the fuse box. The tank is ruined and I would like to just replace the tank and continue using the compressor as it still works fine. Where can one buy just a 30-40 gallon tank set up and not the whole compressor unit.

Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.

Local tire shoos sometimes make the mistake of buying cheap compressors. They usually last a year. Sometime you can find a tank there.

I know people will jump on this one. I would just weld the seem with no pressure then check for leaks.
Then after this I would shut the breaker or switch off when I leave.

How about one or two old 100 pound propane cylinders they can be found fairly easy change the valve to pipe fittings and they work well for air storage. Well any old propane tank would work but other sizes are usually more expensive

Are there any flea markets in the area? They often have a seller of air compressors. The ones I have seen also have replacement tanks for replacing rusted out tanks. Or shop Craigs List for used compressor with bad motor or pump. But you may end up with a tank like you already have.

Eighty years of service from an air compressor tank is really good. Does the tank have an ASME tag with a mfg date and pressure rating? Replacing or disassembling, cleaning, lubricating and testing the safety valve might not be a bad idea.

When I was faced with that situation, once, I found a bare replacement tank cost about as much as an entire new compressor. So, I just bought a new compressor.

There's a place called repocast in Grand Rapids MI they take things in on consignment to auction off. They have tanks from old compressors sometimes. If you could find some place like them maybe. Facebook marketplace. Craigslist. These would all be used tanks but if you found one from an industrial setting they might have good tanks. I bought a 30gal on wheels and use it for a portable air tank.

Gene - I wired up a relay that turns on a light and a buzzer if I turn the shop lights out with the compressor switch on. I got tired of hearing that thing kick on at 2 am.

A local guy has a compressor that sounds like yours, except he is still using the old riveted tank.

There are places all over that sell compressor tanks. I need one for my compressor. I found a place near me that has a 60 gallon tank for around 400. Granger would have them but you could probably buy a complete compressor for their prices.

> I would weld it also, it just passed a 200 psi test!

No, it FAILED a 200 psi test. What pressure are new tanks hydrotested to? 300 psi?

Gene - I wired up a relay that turns on a light and a buzzer if I turn the shop lights out with the compressor switch on. I got tired of hearing that thing kick on at 2 am.

A local guy has a compressor that sounds like yours, except he is still using the old riveted tank.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back