Computer help guys!!! Need some knowledge.

JD Seller

I looked on Newegg.com and found what I think will work for me but I want some one to look at the spec. and see if they think this is what I need. I just do some spread sheets, book keeping, and Internet. Nothing too fancy. Currently have XP Pro.

Here is the model and spec:

HP 6000 Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 3000 MHz 400Gig HDD 4096mb DVD ROM Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit Desktop Computer

This desk top is only $235 with free shipping. That seems a lot of computer for not much money to me.

My current computer is 8-10 years old and is not very fast. Plus it was a cheap computer when we bought it.

Here is what it is:

AMD Sempron 3000. 2.00 GHz, 448 MB of Ram.

So would the HP be a step up??? Should I keep looking???
Link to the HP 6000 on Newegg.com

Core 2 Duo is 5 or 6 year old technology. Better than what you have, but I like to go with one or two year old cpus for cost/performance.

The Core 2 Duo processor is 6-8 years old, and getting a little long in the tooth (I know because I'm using a Core 2 Quad of the same vintage).

As long as that computer keeps running it'll be faster than what you have now. But, it's got age against it.

Why don't you look at this one on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220449
It's a good brand with a 1 year warranty.
It also has Win 7, but it's the 64-bit which means if will handle more memory than 32-bit can.
It's processor is faster for multi-threaded programs, like Office and most graphic programs.
It has better graphics capability.
It has a DVD-RW so you can burn disks.
It has a couple USB 3 ports so USB 3 external drives will read and write faster.
It has a 1 terabyte hard drive running 7200 rpm.

But, it's a couple hundred $ more :-(

Most of the computers today do not come with the installation media (disks). They usually put a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. If you haven't made your own recovery disks (or recovery thumbdrive) you'll be SOL. There are instruction on how to make a backup for recovery purposes.

If the new pc has a lot of 'bloat ware' you don't want (like trial software) download "PC Decra*ifier" (replace the * with P). For personal use it's free. (Just don't download from download.cnet.com because they have reportedly been putting adware in their installer)

I usually use http://ninite.com/ to install Chrome, VLC, Silverlight, Irfan View, Foxit Reader (instead of Acrobat Reader). It's a neat service and you don't have to worry about them adding toolbars you don't want.

That has 4 gigs of RAM, not 4 MB. It's about the bare minimum nowadays. Price is cheap enough but I'd prefer something with more PCI expansions slots, HDMI port, card read, DVD burner, etc.

Walmart has one with free shipping that looks like a better deal for $250. 6 gigs of RAM, 500 gig HD, card reader, DVD burner, a few empty PCI slots, etc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-Black-SX2110G-UW23-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-E1-1500-Accelerated-Processor-6GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-8-Operating-System-Monitor-Not/24766511

I was cleaning up my computer yesterday and Silverlight there. I never downloaded or installed it. Who did me that favor? lol. It's gone now.

Looks like a pretty basic, cheap system to me. It'll be somewhat better than what you have, but not a lot better if you're expecting performance that will blow you away. That said, if it does what you want it to do, I guess that's all you need...
I think the Windows 7 will fit for you after a bit. I went from XP Pro to 7 and didn't like it at first but I'm fairly accustomed to it at this point.... but when it comes right down to it I'd still rather use DOS for a lot of things... and I still open a command line when I'm doing some things in 7. LOL.

Rod

What you have is an older machine, it probably came off lease and was "refurbished" by cleaning it up and wiping out the primary disk partition. It was probably a high-end system in its day, but you're not buying a new PC. If it's what I think it is, it is a well-constructed machine, much better than typical consumer-grade PCs, but nonetheless long in the tooth.

Its a 32 bit machine and cannot expand memory beyond 3.8 gigs. And the processor is old and slow abiet faster than yours, its still a dual core slow processor. It will be just barely faster, no more.

Bump up a bit or your money will be for nothing.

I'm a few days late. On Friday I believe, there was a sale for a NEW (Refurbished) PC from sellout.woot.com. Every once in a while they have a PC on here for cheap. I don't remember the specs, but it had Windows 8 with 8GB of Ram and a (I think) 1GB HDD. They run these every so often and I have seen it at least twice in as many months. Not the same PC or vendor, but GREAT deals. This one was for $279.
SO, you can get a BRAND NEW PC for just a little more if you sign up for emails and have a little patience.
Good Luck!

That's win 8. He's looking at win 7 pro. I'd take that Walmart special of yours and set it out in the sun for a few years until it goes back to nature.

Often my expensive programs won't work on newer computers. Think they want more money. Something to think about before buying.

I'm not sure what exactly your rant is about. Regardless - the guy who started this post did NOT say he only wanted a Windows 7 system. EASY to verify. Just go back and read.

I buy more of my electronics from Newegg and Walmart-online. Both come up with some great deals and lately Walmart has had some better computer deals then Newegg.

Yes. Many programs that work fine with XP and Vista will not run with Windows 7. And several that were written to work with XP, Vista AND Windows 7 will not work with Windows 8. Just went through this when my wife's laptop bit the dust. She had Windows 7. Got a new laptop at Walmart that came with Windows 8. Found out that our photo edited program (Corele Paint Shop Pro) would not work. Neither would any Windows Office Suite unless version 2007 or newer.

Also found out that Windows 8 has a mail program that does NOT support POP servers which wound being another issue we had to deal with.

(quoted from post at 13:39:10 03/03/14) I'm not sure what exactly your rant is about. Regardless - the guy who started this post did NOT say he only wanted a Windows 7 system.
Calm down, JDseller had mentioned in a previous post that he didn't like Win 7, 8, OSX, or Linux, and that he's more comfortable with XP. Tim probably read that earlier post, and since 7 looks more like XP than 8 does made his statement. Just a guess.

To GordoSD, I still install MS's Silverlight because of Netflix requirements.

To the person that mentioned Woot: Amazon has owned Woot since June 2010

To the person that mentioned Gateway: Acer has owned Gateway since 2007

Thanks for the help guys.

Here is my reasoning on what I am going to buy.

1) I do not do anything fancy with my computer. Zero photo editing or any other complicated stuff.

2) I run Quick Books for my business stuff. The version I have will work on XP, Vista, and 7. It may work on 8 but it does not say it will.

3) I need to up date the computer not only because XP is going dead but my hardware is about shot. External disk drives do not always work. Hard drive can be noisy at times too. It is an old CHEAP computer.

4) Some one told me that you can get a "Shell" for 7 that makes it look much like XP. Not really sure what a shell is but I would like to stay close to XP appearance.

5) Would like a little better speed on the Internet. Some down loads will lock up my old computer. It is my computer. My grand Daughters use their lap tops on my router/DSL and theirs is way faster.

6) Would rather have a good use quality computer than a cheap Walmart one. The wife has bought two computers from Walmart and neither one lasted very ell.

Don"t forget to look at refurb, such as delloutlet.com. I used to buy a lot of pcs for a larger company, and had very good luck with them, and they back them up with warranty. I still work in IT, and support pcs (admin work). Look for a Intel processor, 4 GB Ram, 320 Gig Hard Disk or better, Windows 7 (I am not sold on 8, and think it will go the way or Vista, bypassed). Just my 2 cents, but my company has over 9,000 pcs and laptops, and this is typical spec for what we are buying new now, and they do well. I have never been a big fan of the "home built" variety, usually built by someone with little to no real formal education in the field, and they usually have hardware issues or incompatibility problems. With off the shelf name brand you at least have good support with warranty (I did say usually). Good luck.

Parts inside computers are generic. Many of the components are the same regardless of where you buy. It makes little difference if you buy a computer from Walmart, NewEgg or some top-of-the-line seller somewhere. What counts is what you are actually buying and not where you buy it. Walmart just happens to have the buying power to outprice other sellers at time.
In regard to Windows 7 - yes you can make it look like XP. But it will NOT run all the programs that XP can run. There is NO work-around unless it is a 64 bit Windows 7 Professional system and you buy special hardware. Most Windows 7 computers come with Windows 7 Premium (meaning the cheapest) and do not have the hardware needed to emulate older operating systems.

With half the world (?) on XP pro, will someone other than MS offer security and updates that allow those of us satisfied with XP pro to continue using it?

Yes, the HP will be a major step up. Semprons were cheap, bottom of the barrel processors when new, and 448MB or ram is absolutely killing performance. It will do anything you want it to do, according to what you say you use a computer for.

Yes, you can get far more computer, but it will cost you as well. My friend recently bought a bookshelf Acer computer to replace a Pentium4 2.0GHz computer she had since 2002. It was $375 and does absolutely everything she needs it to do. It is also amazingly quiet.

A solid state disk drive is an easy way to perk up the performance of any machine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back