cordwood saw

ralphhsd

New User
I recently purchased a restored cordwood saw to use and it is missing the two legs that extend down from the three point attachment location. Could someone tell me the length of these feet as I am sure I can make them. Thank you!

Ralph
 
Restored and missing parts. Doesn't sound very restored to me. I hate that term since no one seems to understand what it means.
That said it would be pretty easy to figure out how long they need to be by hooking it up and then measure how long they need to be to work as you need it to
 
Ya Dell that is the problem few people know how to read what Webster says restored means and if they did read that they would not believe it any how. Reminds me of a car show last Oct. A guy had a car there that he said was ALL original but it had aluminum valve covers on the engine and I asked him about them and he said oh ya those are original after market covers and I said original means as it was from the factory an he got mad at me. But hey I call it as I see it and do not hold back
 
I would hook it up on flat surface and place it where it feels right and go to town with a tape measure. you might be able to rummage up some adjustable legs then modify to suit your needs.
 
If you are speaking of the two "legs" used to hold the saw horizontal when stored and not mounted to the tractor, the ones on my Dearborn saw are about 26 1/2 inches from the top bolt hole to the ground.

Dean
 
Big problem with the term restore most people think that is a simple paint job and oh look it is restored which of course it is not but you see it time and time again. I find it is by far better to say it is fixed up
 
Thank you Dean for the measurement. I bought the saw at auction yesterday and while looking through the "Assembly and Operating Instructions" pamphlet that came with the unit I observed the legs shown in the picture of the operating saw on the cover and the listing in the parts section. I was unaware they had front legs as the one I had used in my youth did not have them. Today I checked the saw frame and I found there are not holes present for mounting the legs. Perhaps my model did not have that part. To those individuals offended by my use of the term "restored", I apologize. I used the term loosely to indicate it had not recently been dug out of the ground where it was last used 50 years ago. The unit is straight and clean. The blade rings clear. The belt is good. The fiber pulley is in good shape. The roller bearings are greased and roll freely. It has a new wood platform. And yes, it has been painted. It was purchased for use cutting fire wood, not for display at tractor shows. Thanks again Dean for answering my measurement question. I was hoping someone would respond who had a saw.

Ralph
 
Thank you Mark. My frame lacks holes to attach the legs so it must be an earlier model without the legs.

Ralph
 
I have two Dearborn saws, Ralph. One has the storage legs and the other does not.

The legs make it a bit easier for one man to attatch it to the three point hitch but otherwise are not really needed.

Dean
 
Are you sure it is a "Dearborn" and not a "Ferguson"? Early Ferguson had the fiber pulley. Later Ferguson had cast steel. Not sure on "Dearborn" The big difference between Ferguson and Dearborn ie the length, especially the belt length, Ferguson about 6', Dearborn 10'. I didn't think Ferguson had any storage brace. Here is a You tube of my early Ferguson "cordsaw" in operation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjL8FGGwM30
Charles Krammin SW MI
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top