Corn planter question

I have used a JD 1760 planter for many years and really like it. But I do have a question. When planting corn today I should have been dropping 34300 seeds per acre given the sprocket combination I was using. The monitor generally would show my population in the mid to upper 32000s. This isnt a new problem. Several years ago when 28000 was the appropriate rate the monitor would indicate something less. I have inflated the planter tires to 40-44 lbs pressure and the transmission contact tire to 28 lbs per the instructions in the book. Might the seed tube sensors not be counting every kernel? Is there some drive line loss? Is this common across models and brands? Mostly just curious what you see as you plant.

On my Kinze when that starts happening I have to run a bottle brush up the tube across the sensor. Have you checked it row by row?

The chart in the book is only a guide. The monitor is usually very close to correct. If you want to know the actual population run some on a surface you can count the seeds. If thirty inch rows, counting the seed in 17 1/2 feet will give you the thousands of seeds per acre that the planter is planting.

I'm guessing the tires are a bit off... either from inflation, size (variance by manufacturer) between yours and the guy who did the chart, wheel slip, etc.

Another thought. Is 1760 finger or vacuum? Does seed size make a difference? Maybe it's not filling every hole in the seed disk.
Have you got the monitor calibrated correctly to your travel speed?

I am guessing the speed constant wasn't set up correctly when programming the monitor. Even dealer techs get in a hurry and just want to get working. Read the manual and set it up carefully. Common problem with all brands.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back