Correct Fuel Line

Bruce (VA), do you happen to remember where you got your fuel line from and possibly a part#? Parts dept here claim they only have the one. I described yours but they didnt know, say the one I have is the only one for the N
John
 

I went back and found receipt for fuel line from YT parts dept.

PARTS FORD Fuel Line - For models 9N,2N,8N,(1939-1952).This fuel line is from sediment bowl to carburetor. Consists of- 14 inch steel tubing with two 14 inch inverted flair fittings installed., PN: 9N9282A, $23.96, Qty: 1
Info copied from receipt.
Bob
 
Well, thanks to both you and R Geiger. Thats the same # I have on my sales receipt from YT for the 2 I got and both lines were straight. They tell me its the only one 'they' have so...I'll try them 1 more time hoping to talk with someone else, then I guess I'll give nnalert's a call to discuss this in person rather than placing a on-line order.
Thanks again,
John
 
Okay, now we're finally getting nowhere! Thats the same # on my receipt. Gotta laugh...shrug
Just spoke with YT and they again tell me there is no such animal. You must have bent it & dont remember. No...they didnt say that, just joking but only thing to do now is try nnalert's I guess. If nothing there, then I'll make my own. Never thought a fuel line would get this involved.
I appreciate your research.
John
 
Thanks erichoff, I will keep that in mind. If I were'nt in the early phases of a huge project that tractor repairs don't fit into unless its quick, I'd go that route!
John
 
GEEES...how simple was that...talked with Derek @ nnalert...he described the line to me, was exactly what I hoped for, its on the way.
Shoulda asked him for this weeks lotto numbers.
John
 
seems like 10 seconds and a tubing bender would have solved this issue with the ytmag line ??

brake line, or similar steel / copper line of this size is not difficult to bend with a tubing bender.

harbor freight sells then for 2$.. handles 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 line..

soundguy
 
I dont think so. The YT line was just long enough to make it to the sediment bowl. If Id bent it as much as I would need to hump over the conduit, it would ba a good 1 3/4 too short. I dont have a line stretcher.
John
 
Oh, okay, gotchya...thing is at the moment, I just dont have the time. Im swamped doing a project that will lead up to bigger things. This has been an on-going wish to see this tractor in a semi reliable state since this time last year...thats long enough for me. Luckily we had very little snow this past winter. Doesnt feel good looking at a brand new 5ft blade sitting in one corner with the tractor under covers in the other corner while Im shoveling.
However, next time I get past Harbor Freight, Ill take a look at it. Would make a nice addition to the tool box.
Thanks for the heads-up.
John
 
that's some odd geometry ya got there.

I have a line from both ytag and just8s. both have fit fine with no issues ?? I havr 1 original fuel valve .. the 2n.. and one repop on the 8n... no fitting issues at all... odd...

soundguy
 
tools are always good to have.

I hear ya on wanting to work with a tractor vs always working on it..

soundguy
 
Well, this is what I got twice and is the wrong one. If you saw the pics R Geiger and Bruce (VA) uploaded, thats the one for my tractor. Dont know whats odd about that. If you add an extra bend to something thats barely long enough to begin with, you'd be a dollar short of making it to the sediment bowl. Could just be my tractor...I dunno. Who knows what someone did to it in the past. That may not even be the original plug wire tube on mine. And only reason one support is slightly bent I believe is because someone worked the head bolts for whatever reason and the support twisted a bit under the tightening pressure. I see my computers getting hyper, looks as if it posted 2 shots of the same thing.
John
a41379.jpg
 
Didnt see this one but yea...you got that right. That IH I had for 30+ years spoiled me. Didnt matter how long it slept, hit the key and go. No trickle charger used on that one. That was only 13 years newer than this N. I 'think' this N can do it too...we'll see.
John
 
i can see in your pics there is already a bit of a bend.

I'm guessing your plug tube is beant a bit making it taller, and thus the interference.

my 2n briefly had a tube on it, but was removed as it was a pita to do plug wires with the new 8mm wires vs older 7mm wires.. fuel ine wasn't an issue with it on.

that's why i mentioned the odd geometry.

soundguy
 

I have told folks on YT zackly how to make one at least 20 times,,, as cheap as N owners are I can not copper'N them pay'n $20 plus bucks for $1 worth of steel line... are y'all that stupid...

Its a steel line is their sum'n special I am miss'n... :? 25ft cost me $25,,, line nuts are .35 cent,,, what am I miss'n here... :?: worst case I can buy it at the parts store for $4 with the nutz...
 
Oh, I see. Thought you were checking my math! Theres only 2 bends in that line, one coming from the carb and the other goes over the head. From that bend its a straight shot to the bowl. Thats where I hit a wall. Not mentioning any names....but I was told these things ( and others probably )are being manufactured not all the same yet have the same part #. Came from a reputable source. Off shore of course.
John
 
(quoted from post at 22:45:53 05/31/11) Oh, I see. Thought you were checking my math! Theres only 2 bends in that line, one coming from the carb and the other goes over the head. From that bend its a straight shot to the bowl. Thats where I hit a wall. Not mentioning any names....but I was told these things ( and others probably )are being manufactured not all the same yet have the same part #. Came from a reputable source. Off shore of course.
John
guess I'm really going blind faster than I thought! I see 4 bends in the one pictured.
a41379.jpg
 
i'm also wondering if maybee your fuel bowl opening on the tap is perhaps angled a lil too far back, making for a stretch on the line.

soundguy
 
In the foto? The right end with the little bend....dont tell that! No, I dont think so...from pics Ive seen, and from lining things up on the carb & bowl, thats the only way it would work...IF the tube wasnt there.
 
Technically maybe but hey, its just 1 bend really coming from the carb the the other going over the head...hell, without those, add a few markings, it could be a dipstick.
 
(quoted from post at 00:00:20 06/01/11) In the foto? The right end with the little bend....dont tell that! No, I dont think so...from pics Ive seen, and from lining things up on the carb & bowl, thats the only way it would work...IF the tube wasnt there.
don't follow you here. In the picture of the line on the asphalt, the long straight part on the left goes to carb, though.
 
I was at the local garage for a length of brake tubing for my truck.Owner showed me some new rust proof tubing that is soft can be formed by hand and flares easy.The high prices on tractor gas lines are robbery.A brake line can be had for 5 bucks.Mechanic can change to the Ford fittings if needed.You can go over or under the wire conduit. over would be best.
 
i'm not saying the bowl itself is bad.. just the alignment of the out port. if the tap is screwed in so the port is angled away from the carb more than a few degrees, due to the line being not much more than a right angle piece, then it starts to have 'reach' issues like you are mentioning.. very quickly.. and only has to be a few degrees past perpendicular alignment to make a few inches of difference at the carb...

soundguy
 
Position the bowl so that the threaded hole faces forward. look at the pictures Bruce and I posted. There should be a brass elbow on carb that has a filter screen in it. The treads in the brass elbow face up. Like JMOR said the long straight end goes to the carb. Bet it will clear the tube that way>
 
Ah, I see what you mean. Well, I hope all of that is behind me now with another bowl assy and line coming. Im with Hobo NC though. Seems these lines could be produced correctly with minimal extra effort. You had no issues but I wonder if you were working with older inventory. I just have a gut feeling production is changing like the airlines removing 1 peanut from the bag to save millions over time...then removing the bag altogether on some flights. This last line I bought was exactly long enough to start at the carb and end at the bowl. Had the hole in the new tank been off a little towards the oil filter, that line just would have been too short. Tolerances like that are good in many applications but an old for tractor? I like olds story about the line that was too long so he wrapped it around a paint can to take up the slack. :-)
Have a good day,
John
 
Soundguy...other thing too about the reach of this line, it could have been tweaked some for sure but was already in stock form almost touching the exhaust manifold..which looked way too close for me.
Its been years now since I had my IH so I am out of touch mechanically other than oil changes & small stuff with my cars. So I guess I am in a way re-learning what I knew at one time as a kid. 28 years of non mechanical self employment parraled by a IH that asked for nothing but gas, oil, grease and occaisional bath has stunned my senses Im finding while working with this N. BUT, not a challenge really when the right parts are available.
 
i'm sure mine were old stock as at least one of them was a couple ys ago.
as for just barely fitting.

well.. here;s my take.

it's a metal line, fit between 2 metal parts... it only has to be long enough.. it's not a rubber hose that you should need to take up slack on.

also.. these were assembly line built. all the carbs in the same place.. all the fuel valves screwed in the same amount.. etc.. all the ful lines fit up perfect..etc.

thus the repops are made like original.. that's not necescarilly a fault or error..

soundguy
 
once you get tjhis N beat into shape.. no reason it won't offer years of good service with just periodic maint like that IH did.

i have plenty of fords that just get fuel and oil year to year.

soundguy
 
once you get tjhis N beat into shape.. no reason it won't offer years of good service with just periodic maint like that IH did.

i have plenty of fords that just get fuel and oil year to year.

soundguy
 
Thanks, thats helpful at this point.
Do you still have...I think its a 47 AC, the orange one. I saw a pic of it on this site...still have that? That to me was pretty unique looking!!
John
 
Is that steering wheel original design for that tractor? That must have been to a lot of folks, light years ahead of its time back in 47, almost to the point where a farmer might look and wonder what it was suppose to be. I think its pretty sharp!
...and, if you dont mind my asking, did you find it that way or do a refurb?
John
 
Wait a minute! I just saw this post...are you serious? I held that line up to the engine several times before finally trying to connect it all together. From the many pics I saw of other engine close-ups, I was certain the fuel inlet at the carb was positioned horizontal. Mine was when I bought it. After the carb rebuild this past winter, the last thing I installed was a new fuel inlet with screen. Once screwed in and was tight and sealed well, it was in a horizontal position, just as it was when I took delivery so I thought okay, everything is where it should be. So if I understand you correctly, I screwed up royally. Okay, when the new line arrives, we'll see. I will remember this and try it again. You almost have me convinced Im ready for the funny farm.
 
That sounds pretty good really. I agree with you about prices..especially when its labeled resto quality...yea right. I will keep this in mind...think Napa would have it?
Thanks for the update.
John
 
AH, well see, thats where I got off track. All references I saw showed the opening of that brass elbow fitting facing back, or horizontal to the ground. Mine was that way when I bought it also. I figured it had something with fuel flow not even thing gas would run better downhill. I think the one I had on the IH was that way too. Son of a something...I guess HOBO was right except he asked are yall stupid...should replied no, just me. Better not quit my daytime job. Ill eye it up in a few minutes and see.
John
 
(quoted from post at 22:40:56 06/01/11) Man...just when it seems everything is running smooth.........guess if this is all I have to worry about, I got it made.
ou sure got that right, my friend!

9Ngovcompspring.jpg
 
Okaaaaaaaay...I can see that now. I took my line outside and sized it up again. It could fit but still looks like it needs some tweaking. Thats the only way though...with that elbow facing up. Wish I had seen that pic earlier...like a 2 months ago. Do I owe everybody a beer or what!
 
The only thing that I had to tweatk a bit was the position of the bowl and the brass elbow. Resist the urge to bend your new line, maybe just flex it a bit! :wink:
 
(quoted from post at 03:37:39 06/02/11) AH, well see, thats where I got off track. All references I saw showed the opening of that brass elbow fitting facing back, or horizontal to the ground. Mine was that way when I bought it also. I figured it had something with fuel flow not even thing gas would run better downhill. I think the one I had on the IH was that way too. Son of a something...I guess HOBO was right except he asked are yall stupid...should replied no, just me. Better not quit my daytime job. Ill eye it up in a few minutes and see.
John


Posted the fuel line pix quite a few time also,,, just fer you...

https://photos.yesterdaystractors.c...arameter=hobo,nc&mode=All&what=pieces
 
refurb for sure. I rarely buy anything that is already refurbished.

here's a couple before and an after pic. that little gem represents a good summer of elbow grease, parts searching all across the US and lotsa sweat.

soundguy
a25908.jpg

a26184.jpg

a107959.jpg
 
Gees!, got a little tow bar too. Nice piece!. Never seen one of those, you did a great job. I wonder if a blade could be inserted midway in place of the mower deck. Course, being in FL youd have no use for that. Thanks for the pics, Ill put those on the desktop. I think thats the size of my IH. It was a cub lowboy, the yellow/white one. My grandfather bought it new in 59. He passed in 69. I used it from 75 till 2007. It was 11hp/11mph in 3rd. Drove it to the gas station to fill it up when I first started using it, 1 mile round trip. Never did that again. Shoulda packed a lunch and took a good book for the trip.
John

Oh and by the way, I discovered after seeing a pic JMOR sent last evening that I was trying to put this line on backwards. I tried sizing it up but went with the way the old was when it came off. Somehow the correct way just didnt look right and that might be due to that tube going uphill. Guess I have to look at that down the road. If you were trying to tell me that, it flew right over my head somehow...too many things going on at one time here maybe. I apologize for that.
 
it had crossed my mind on the line installed incorrectly.

as for the allis g.. yep.. roughly equivalent to a cub in hp and size. I have a 66 cub.

you can get a single centerd disc plw for them as well.

soundguy
 
Thanks Hobo...Ill archive that in my collection. My apologies to you too. Could be some truth in Germans being hard headed :-)
Have a nice week,
John
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top