Craftsman chainsaw clutch removal tool question

My Craftsman 16 inch chainsaw (Model #385.351610, Mfg. date approximately 2008) needs the clutch removed as it appears the oil pump is not pumping oil to the bar and I believe the oil pump needs replaced. I intend to purchase a clutch removal tool but have found 2 different part numbers suitable for Craftsman. One is: 530031112, (unable to find the specs as of this post) other is: 530031116 (15/16 width between pins, 3/8 pin length, 15/64 pin diameter. What is the difference (if any) between the two and which one do I need to purchase? I have seen there are kits that include the clutch tool and piston stop tool which I am interested. Any and all assistance is appreciated.

You can take the spark plug out and turn the motor over until the piston just starts to come up. You dont want to get the rope stuck into the ports, thats why you do it when the piston is almost to the top. Then you can put rope down into the cylinder. It acts as a piston stop. Then you can remove the clutch. Most are left hand thread.

As for your pump not pumping, take the bar and chain off and make sure your oil hole in the bar is not plugged up with wood. Does it pump oil with the bar off?

Been awhile so can't remember all the details but your Craftsman may be related to Poulan, Husqvarna. I replaced oil pump in Poulan once and made a tool from fairly large square nut, drilled 2 holes for roll pins I think.
Good luck.

I have 6 different saws and have had the clutch off all of them. I just use a hammer and a punch and have never been defeated. A couple are 40+ years old.

UncleTom, thank your for your reply. I had the bar and chain off and blowed out the side until clean, got it running and it was not pumping oil.

Thank you for your reply. I found the same information Craftsman being related to Poulan & Husquvana. I just would like a clarification why there are 2 different part numbers for what appear to be the same tool in removing the clutch. I want to get the correct one without returning it.

Drain the bar oil tank and put some diesel fuel in it and shake it up and rinse it out. There can be wood chips plugging it up.

Look at your model number again any chance it is 358.351610 . When searching try leaving out the period.
Try sears parts direct.

I changed the drive sprocket on mine last year and did what Uncle Tom did. Just use a length of rope for a piston stop and a punch on the sprocket and it came off easily, left hand thread.

I assume this is the tool with the round pins.

Sadly, Poulan (Husqvarna) workshop manuals are hard to come by. Even for us factory trained mechanics, that data is hard to come by.
Since you have the dimensions of one of the tools, Measure your clutch. If it the dimensions fit your clutch, buy that one. If it doesn't, Its probably the other one. (I only have one of those tools in my tool box.)

I also have at least 1/2 dozen 1/2 drive sockets of various sizes that have slots cut in them to remove clutches that as far as I know, Husqvarna never offered a tool to remove them.

The distance between the two prongs is 1on tool # 31116.
I found the above on the internet and it should be correct for you saw. No guarantees

Duner Wi, you are correct. The model number is 358.35161. I had the 2nd and 3rd numbers turned around. Thanks for your reply.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back