Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
There are a lot of interesting post on here. If you took the area of a 6 by 6 mile township what percent of that acreage would be hay or grass in your area?
 
I would say less than 5% hay. 60% corn, 35% soybeans....However nothings planted yet. Another storm coming thru first. NW Iowa
 
Hard to say in my area. Lots of wood lots in a twp. Seems guys either grow corn/beans or hay. But definitely more corn/beans. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 70-30 for crops vs hay.

Larry
 
In this township there is about 4000 acres of Goverment owned acres, 600 acres of hay, 7000 acres of corn, 6000 acres of beans, 100 acres of crp and 1000 acres of houses.

So about 7% of the crop land is hay. I had 120 acres of those 600 acres. Only 4 others have hay ground.

What percent is hay in your township J.

Gary
 
I'd say of good ag acreage I'd say 15% hay, 25% corn, 20% beans, 40% unsellabale new homes and development. What a waste when ag land is worth so much and can raise such valuable crops. Thats Benton county MN, let the developers plant homes, that dont sell, and dont bring in any revenue, and make farming a low priority.
 
"let the developers plant homes"
That is some thing I noticed about Minnesota. They build alot of subdivisions out in the sticks. It also seems that they use the best farrm land to build these things on. Not a smart way to plan for the future.

When I lived in Indiana. It apeared that when you got out of the town areas. You had alot of building on the out side of a section along the roads, but the interior of the section was still used for AG.
I dont know if that was by accedent or by plan. But seemed a better use of the land. People could still move to the country and still use the best ag land for ag.
 
I don't know if there are 50-60 acres of hay in the whole township. We have a 65 cow dairy farmer and they probably make 90+% of the hay in the township. CRP: Is all strips to keep ditch bank from washing away. We have about 1 acre out of 400+ acres. Could have a little more. Wheat corn & soybeans are the key crops. There are a few tomatoes left. Now go 10 miles north and green beans , carrots and some potatoes will be found There used to be a lot of hay made into pellets here but that is getting to also be a small percentage. J.
 
In my area the biggest cash crop is pine trees. Paper mills own several 1000 acre tracks. Still have some strawberries in the area but as the old timers get out it is being sold off to housing land. The problem is getting people to pick them and still make a profit.

If you go about 25 miles north of me you get into dairy country so lots of hay fields up there. But no corn or beans.

If you go about 25 miles south of me you get into sugar cane area.
 
About 1% hay, 2% CRP, and the rest corn/coybeans.
Yes, the subdivisions really irk me too! The urbanites cry plenty about our "food crop", corn, being used for ethanol, thereby causing starvation, and then they move to some new subdivision built on land that will never grow crops again, and it's happening around every city in the US. After they move to their new home in the subdivision, built on land that could be growing food, they have to drive their SUV farther to get to work, thereby increasing the need for fuel,and,well, here we go again! Jim
 
Theirs four fields of hay in my township I have two of them and a close neighbor has the other two.Maybe a 100 acres alltogether.I live on the river bottom 90% is corn,beans the rest is CRP and a little wheat this year because of the price.Their is one cow herd in the near by hills which is all brome pasture and use the stalk fields for winter.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top