Cutting a rubber mat

I made a lot of cuts on 3/4" stall mat to fit to the bed of my pickup truck. I used a curved-blade knife as pictured along with a straight edge, required multiple passes but worked really well.
CurvedBladeKnife.jpg

Put those mats in one of my horse stalls. Used a skilsaw at first, but 3/4" rubber grabs a lot. Went to the box cutter and multiple passes, bending the cut line over a 2x4, as mentioned. A new, sharp blade, a little bit of lubricant, and all went well, and a lot easier. zuhnc

I have a 4'x6' 3/4 thick rubber stable mat from TSC, that I need to cut to fit around a chimney.It will be used as a
floor mat. Any suggestions on how to cut it? Maybe a sawsall? Skill saw? chain saw? Way too thick for a razor knife.
I cut mine with a razor knife. Had to make two passes as I recall. My cuts were straight, length wide cuts and I used sharp blades.

I have a cordless fabric cutter which uses a very sharp round blade and have cut rubber sheet with amazing success.

My entire workshop floor is covered by the same type of mat , they really are practical and comfortable .
I cut all of them with a ' box cutter ' type of knife . It takes a little patience but the result is really accurate and neat .You really only have to score the top of the mat deeply , then flex the cut open while cutting further , sounds difficult but is really quite easy a fairly quick . It only took a few hours for me to lay the floor of a six by five metre building with many cut outs for doors , bench legs and other fixtures .Lubricating the blade while cutting makes it glide smoothly as well , just some detergent and water is enough .
Exactly how I do it. Got those mats in all our horse stalls and on the main barn floor, too. Cut them all this way.

Rubber products are pretty easy to cut with a sharp knife. The problem is the rubber healing back up on the cutting instrument, creating drag & heat. Lubrication with something slippery on the knife will help. If you can get a helper, have him slightly pull on the rubber as you cut to slightly open the kerf as you cut. This will significantly reduce the friction encountered when cutting rubber.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back