dash outlets

Dieseltech

My Duramax pickup has a USB port on the dash, and another smaller outlet just below it. I'm not sure what it's called being computer illiterate, anyone know what the smaller one is called in case I want to get a cord to fit it? Are there two size USB ports?

Does it look like one of these?

mvphoto107640.png

Probably the new sub c type. That's my guess. They have to keep coming up with new types you know so they can sell more cables.

I think our new Ford had a C also, not sure what for. The place to buy charging cords is the Dollar Tree, if they have them, some days they do, some days they don't.

The cords are not all equal they may fit,but some have far fewer wires and really only work for charging. a reasonable cord will cost 10 to 14 bucks. Count the contacts and look at the illustration supplied below! Jim

Type C cables are usually associated with fast chargers.

Heard rumors that the government was going to force the tech industry to all start using a single type of USB connector. It is mainly aimed at forcing Apple to change their ports to allow users a wider choice of chargers and cables rather than being force to buy "apple".

About what they are doing with the charging ports with the EV market.

For many years, vehicles have used USB-A ports, such that they're nearly universal. But for newer devices, USB-C has a number of advantages, including higher data speed, more power and you can plug them in either way. The higher power in particular is a huge advantage, such that it makes a lot of sense to add a USB-C port to a vehicle for devices that can use it. Most new cell phones use USB-C. Even laptop computers now use USB-C for charging instead of a brand-specific charger.

Not being there I can only guess, but I suspect it's a TYPE C. One other common port is Apples lightning I believe its called but that's ONLY for Apple devices so I doubt the factory would have installed that.

John T NOT any computer or types of charging ports. Let Google be your friend

(quoted from post at 03:58:18 07/19/23) Type C cables are usually associated with fast chargers.

Heard rumors that the government was going to force the tech industry to all start using a single type of USB connector. It is mainly aimed at forcing Apple to change their ports to allow users a wider choice of chargers and cables rather than being force to buy "apple".

About what they are doing with the charging ports with the EV market.

I believe the EU law to require a standard charging connector already went into place, not sure the date the requirement takes effect. The main idea is/was to reduce the electronic waste of all the different cables as well as the power waste of multiple different chargers plugged in all the time.

Nanny Apple made quite a fuss but lost. When I looked at the regulation I didn't see anything that prohibited still having a proprietary connector, just had to have a standard charge connector as well. Either way, nobody has been forced to buy chargers or cables from Apple, third party stuff has been available for many years.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back