David Bradley Roto-Spader help needed please

Mikehooper

New User
Hello, I am trying to restore this Roto Spader (see pics). I cannot find a model number anywhere on the spader. I'm really going to need it to restore this thing.
The engine is a 8B-H Briggs, type 904228, serial 71021. This doesn't help me find out the model number, though.
I was told this engine is from the 1950's, but the serial number suggests it's from 1971??
Does anybody out there know how I can determine what model number this is? I've spent a lot of time online and no luck.
Thank you in advance for any help
 

Attachments

  • IMG20260112152408.jpg
    IMG20260112152408.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG20260112152425.jpg
    IMG20260112152425.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG20260112152528.jpg
    IMG20260112152528.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG20260112152448.jpg
    IMG20260112152448.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 159
I could be wrong, just taking a stab at this. if that air cleaner is original to the engine, would'nt that make it a early 60's engine. My recollection of small engines may be way off. Seems like horizontal foam engine air cleaners became the norm in the late 60's. Keep us posted. I have an older Tecamsah engine on my log splitter, still does the job. gobble
 
'65 was the last year for serial numbers. It is between '53 and '65. The air filter is from an '80s I/C motor. It would have originally been oil bath.
 
'65 was the last year for serial numbers. It is between '53 and '65. The air filter is from an '80s I/C motor. It would have originally been oil bath.
AaHaa, some one that knows what they are talking about, not a hack like me. Your mention of oil bath air cleaners brought back some mind images from the old days. Thanks Fritz for your wisdom on the forum gobble
 
8B-H engine had a horizontal shaft.

6B-H engine had a vertical shaft like the one in your photos. The carb and air filter also appears to be the correct type used on the B6 6B-H engine.
 
Last edited:
I have my father in laws home generator bought in 78....engine looks the same.
Your father in laws engine will have a code in lieu of the serial number. The first two digits of the code is the year.

This did not occur until after '65, and lasted until Briggs was bought up by an investment company in 2020.... not sure if they still use that same format.

I take up this search for aluminum engine dates from time to time ; information on iron engines on the Briggs website is very complete, but the same records were apparently not kept on the Kool-Bores.

I have seen on other sites that the date can be narrowed down to a width of a few years, by the lines and the location of the BS symbol stamped in the shroud. There have been instances of David-Bradley stamped the shroud in lieu of the BS symbol.... definitely a extremely rare keeper if you ever ran across one.

Inasmuch as the fuel tank was an integral part of the air shroud, it seems unlikely that that part could be used on a horizontal shaft engine with the gas cap on the side.
 
It's definitely a vertical shaft engine. It's definitely an 8B Briggs. It seems to be the original engine, because the paint on the engine matches the paint on the body of the Roto Spader.
My big issue is finding the model number for the Roto Spader, in order to be able to locate parts for it as I restore it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top