David Brown 1394

Does my David Brown 1394 Have glo plugs ?
More than likely it has glow plugs , But I think they were a option for most tractor manufacturers Glow plugs will be installed in a port on the intake manifold and should be easy to identify even for a novice ., We had a 1290 Case /Davd Brown , and they were on it and worked well . turned the key to the left in 32 degree weather while reciting the LORDS Prayer, Then Cranked right up ,.. NEVER USE ETHER AND GLOW PLUGS !!!! ALLOW at least 30 minutes of cooling time for the plug before using ether !

According to the online parts catalog for your tractor it has one single glow plug, they refer to it as a “Thermostart” I call that system an “intake manifold air heater” In the link go to Category 02 Engine and Diagram 2-08; Manifolds, it is part 17. Glow plugs are in the cylinder head and have tips that stick into the combustion area of each cylinder when they are installed. I would guess the key has to be held twisted in the counter-clockwise direction to heat your manifold heater up, probably something like 15 to 25 seconds. This is what energized the manifold air heater on our Case 1070.
DB 1394 online parts catalog

Does my David Brown 1394 Have glo plugs ?
Your David Brown has what is called a thermostart. Return fuel is supplied to a small container with a line that runs to the intake manifold on the right side of the engine. There is a heating element that when the key switch is turned to the pre heat position, ignites the fuel as it is drained into the intake manifold. This supplies heated air to the engine to enable starting in cold weather. You will need to find theses components to trouble shoot the system. 1. small container in the fuel return line. 2 a line then runs to the top of the intake manifold. 3 The heating element is located at this location. This element has two functions. With the key switch in the pre heat position it opens allowing fuel to enter and then ignites it. Hope this helps. Don

Your David Brown has what is called a thermostart. Return fuel is supplied to a small container with a line that runs to the intake manifold on the right side of the engine. There is a heating element that when the key switch is turned to the pre heat position, ignites the fuel as it is drained into the intake manifold. This supplies heated air to the engine to enable starting in cold weather. You will need to find theses components to trouble shoot the system. 1. small container in the fuel return line. 2 a line then runs to the top of the intake manifold. 3 The heating element is located at this location. This element has two functions. With the key switch in the pre heat position it opens allowing fuel to enter and then ignites it. Hope this helps. Don
Welcome to the forums. The name of Thermostart is leading to some confusion here. I expect CAV calls it a Thermostart, however it is not the type that used with fuel to make a fire in the intake manifold. As used red MN it is an intake manifold heater, which is basically a large glow plug located in the intake manifold warming the air going to all the cylinders. The parts book shows the intake heater as both a glow plug with a Case part number and a Thermostat with its CAV part number.

Capture.JPG

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back