Dayton wheels to Budd wheels

amscontr

New User
I have an 1981 GMC 7000 and I"m wanting to swap the dayton/Spoke type hubs to a Budd style. I was wondering if I would be better off buying the complete axle or if it would be feasable to change out the hubs or ????
 
ive always wondered about this conversion too, even though i know how, most tire shops around here dont know how to make a set of spokers run tru after a tire change, my sugestion, is go to a real parts store, with a older guy in it, and get out the bearing book, then look at the bearings and races for each kind or hub asssembly, im thinking the axle itself would be the same and the difference will start with the bearings then the budd hub ect, let us know
 
Yeah I'm hoping to find some nubers on the axles and see if I can switch the hubs reasonable of find an pair of axles or a complete truck for a decent price.
The vin tag says it has a 7000# Front and a 16170# rear, which seens kind of light for a dump. It was built as a truck/tractor, I'm wondering if they axles were beefed up to support this or who knows?
 
you probably need to look on the rear axle itself for a tag rivited in place and see if it matc hes up with the cab tag it may have been changed out or it may be right that would give you a gross weight rating of 23000 lbs which would be about right for a 7000 and keep it under cdl range it may bave been something like a beverage trailer tractor or similar when new than got converted to a dump for a second life
 
I bought a 1981 Great Dane flatbed with Budds on it, and later swapped to Daytons that came off a Ravens flatbed. We switched the hubs with the wheels and tires still on them. The owner of the Ravens wanted the Budds and I wanted the Daytons.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top