BarryL

New User
I am reviving an early 50s DC that has the usual story - running fine when parked, sat outside in rain for 7-8 years, now has various problems. I can handle the other minor problems, but have not tore into DC brakes before. The right brake is locked tight. I tried rocking the tractor back and forth under its own power, tried dragging back and forth with a truck, no luck. VERY tight. Today I removed the brake cover and although there is a lot of rust that came out the pads look very good just tight to the rotors. It is the dual disc type. I am not certain how to dissemble them further and what to do with them to free them once I have it apart. Any advice is much appreciated!!
 
Need to know which brake style. Does it have individual pedals on the left and right side or both pedals on the right side.
 
I posted premature. You said dual disc so that defines the style. Here is a cross section. Most likely the disc are rusted at the spline. They can be a challenge to get apart.

The outer disc spline is accessible to soak so do that. Using two or three small screw drivers for wedges, spread the two plates at the gap shown. This should break the rust and force the outer disc off the spline.

Soak the inner disc spline if it is stuck. This disc can be a real challenge because there is no good way to force it without damaging it. Try pounding gently on the end of the shaft using a wood block to protect the end of the shaft from hammer damage. If need be, punch carefully on the disc near the spline. These impacts will probably break the rust.

One of my brakes, I let soak with penetrating oil for two weeks. Finally got it off. Good luck.
a128248.jpg
 
Thanks Ron, I will start soaking tonight and try to wedge of the outer one first in a day or two. Then on to inner. This is exactly the info I needed, thank you!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top