Deer hunting advice.

I have been hunting a place for the last two years on just a phone call to the deer manager on the farm I hunt. Pretty good spot. Got 4 deer there last year.. The owner took over managing the hunting and is now wanting me to sign a 4 page letter outlining when, where and etc. And that I wont sue them if I fall out of a tree, slip in the snow and bust a leg etc . Basically I can't sue if I get hurt. I am not the sue type anyways. I get hurt it's my fault. My question to you all is this. Is this the new normal and is it wise to sign the paper just to hunt? I enjoy it but don't "need" to hunt. Should I have them sign something in return that protects myself from some lawsuit from them? I deal with a firm handshake that binds me to my word. This is just all new to me. What do you all advise?
 
I have Bow and Rifle Deer Hunters, Turkey also. The first few years I had them Sign a statement. That If they hurt thier selfs or Others while hunting on my land They are Responsible. Tree stands and Hunting Blinds removed at end of Season. And it is a farm with tractors and equipment being used at anytime that may bother their Hunting. And Places where they can't hunt
I have had the same hunters for 15+ years. After a few years they know what they can and can't do an I don't make them sign a new paper each year. And most of the time they let me know what they have planned and when they will be hunting
Every one is Sue Happy now a days. So a Land owner has to safe his nnalert
 
I took over a lease from a timber company from a friend who died in 2013. Everyone on the property needed to sign the form and the forms were around several years before I took over. I gave it up when I was tired of folks wanting to ride around and fill feeders more than hunt, but have been in a couple since with the same basic form. Not a big deal to me and I would require the same for anyone on my land.

The person who died and I took over the lease from had another property at one point and his "best friend" sued him when he turned a 4 wheeler over on himself.
 
I have been hunting a place for the last two years on just a phone call to the deer manager on the farm I hunt. Pretty good spot. Got 4 deer there last year.. The owner took over managing the hunting and is now wanting me to sign a 4 page letter outlining when, where and etc. And that I wont sue them if I fall out of a tree, slip in the snow and bust a leg etc . Basically I can't sue if I get hurt. I am not the sue type anyways. I get hurt it's my fault. My question to you all is this. Is this the new normal and is it wise to sign the paper just to hunt? I enjoy it but don't "need" to hunt. Should I have them sign something in return that protects myself from some lawsuit from them? I deal with a firm handshake that binds me to my word. This is just all new to me. What do you all advise?
I always had the hunters sign something. Then I gave them exclusive hunting rights. Let them do the policing.
 
I would only sign a waver for getting hurt or lost damage equipment. If I can not hunt where and when (when is sometimes ok) then I find other land to hunt. I get verbale permission from a guy and he rights down what week I can hunt and I need to inform him every name that I bring with me. 2 years now I have had the whole season because nobody else asked before the start. then he gives it all to me. If some of his friends or relatives want to hunt he will call me up and ask if that and that day we will be out there. If not so and so would like to hunt. I always tell him ,go ahead let them hunt those days. we will be back after that.
 
It's like they want to protect themselves from every little imaginary thing. But their from Ca so.... I only hunt the 2 weeks of rifle anyways. She wants signed papers when ewe meet but we ain't even dicussed anything yet. Days allowed, the help in return for hunting etc.
 
Considering the litigious nature of today's society I feel it is entirely reasonable for landowners to have hunters sign a document indicating they have NO LIABILITY if a hunter gets hurt while hunting on a property whether it's a lease or free. Duh!
 
It's not always the person you are interacting with that will bring liability claims. If someone is injured, their attorney, their medical insurance carrier's attorneys, and/or estate attorneys will file actions against the landowner, their insurance, their offspring, their dog, and anyone/anything else with a pulse. It's almost as if it would be better to spare the whitetails and have an annual 12-month lawyer season, alternating bow and rifle.

Get a signed waiver and file the copies.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top