Deer hunting advice.

I have been hunting a place for the last two years on just a phone call to the deer manager on the farm I hunt. Pretty good spot. Got 4 deer there last year.. The owner took over managing the hunting and is now wanting me to sign a 4 page letter outlining when, where and etc. And that I wont sue them if I fall out of a tree, slip in the snow and bust a leg etc . Basically I can't sue if I get hurt. I am not the sue type anyways. I get hurt it's my fault. My question to you all is this. Is this the new normal and is it wise to sign the paper just to hunt? I enjoy it but don't "need" to hunt. Should I have them sign something in return that protects myself from some lawsuit from them? I deal with a firm handshake that binds me to my word. This is just all new to me. What do you all advise?
Are you hunting the farm for free or do you pay a lease fee? Or does it even matter. Just be thankful you have a place to hunt that allows you to take the best tasting meat, meat that you know where it comes from, and is good for you. Sign the papers and say thank you and move on to bigger issues in life.
 
I have been hunting a place for the last two years on just a phone call to the deer manager on the farm I hunt. Pretty good spot. Got 4 deer there last year.. The owner took over managing the hunting and is now wanting me to sign a 4 page letter outlining when, where and etc. And that I wont sue them if I fall out of a tree, slip in the snow and bust a leg etc . Basically I can't sue if I get hurt. I am not the sue type anyways. I get hurt it's my fault. My question to you all is this. Is this the new normal and is it wise to sign the paper just to hunt? I enjoy it but don't "need" to hunt. Should I have them sign something in return that protects myself from some lawsuit from them? I deal with a firm handshake that binds me to my word. This is just all new to me. What do you all advise?
That type of paperwork is normal for any lease or rental regardless of the price.

May I ask, how much do people pay for hunting rights or a hunting lease?

Is a verbal agreement enforceable in court or is it worth less.
 
I have had hunters on my land for near 40 years. First thing I have them do when they arrive is to sign a waiver that says all parties on my side are not liable for anything. Most of my hunters are city folk and hunt many places besides mine. They all expect to sign a waiver where ever they hunt. My waiver was written by my attorney, who is also a hunter. Conversely, I have hunted at several guided hunts and benifit hunts and have signed waivers my self. Miss Candy and I are both Cowboy Action Shooters and we sign similar waiver at every club we shoot at. It is rare that any kind of shooting sport, entity and or location that does not have a hold harmless waiver of some sort. I would not worry about it and would probably sign it. It is what you probably agreed to with a handshake anyway.
 
True story
Land owner owned 50,000 acres
Hunting club leased 1,500 acres
Member took his dad hunting left him in a blind and walked down a logging road to hunt
Member was walking back to dad with lawn chair that had legs sticking in air and rifle over shoulder
Member was wearing orange but it was dim light
Dad shot son and killed him
Wife sued
Loss
Appealed
Loss again

Just the lawyer fees to defend themselves had to be more than the lease money brought in.

Edit to say.....
I wonder if the wife sued the father in law ????
 
Last edited:
Are you hunting the farm for free or do you pay a lease fee? Or does it even matter. Just be thankful you have a place to hunt that allows you to take the best tasting meat, meat that you know where it comes from, and is good for you. Sign the papers and say thank you and move on to bigger issues in life.
That's what I did after talking to her. A little clarity on things helped.
 
That type of paperwork is normal for any lease or rental regardless of the price.

May I ask, how much do people pay for hunting rights or a hunting lease?

Is a verbal agreement enforceable in court or is it worth less.
I don't know what leases are priced at. She wants to trade some help on the farm for hunting rights. Gonna give it a whirl this fall and see.
 
It's not always the person you are interacting with that will bring liability claims. If someone is injured, their attorney, their medical insurance carrier's attorneys, and/or estate attorneys will file actions against the landowner, their insurance, their offspring, their dog, and anyone/anything else with a pulse. It's almost as if it would be better to spare the whitetails and have an annual 12-month lawyer season, alternating bow and rifle.

Get a signed waiver and file the copies.
Yes! Don't blame the messenger! When you give your insurance company the check, you can't stop them from taking your best friend to court to avoid having to pay a claim.
 
Something that guy's don't think about that lease hunting land or even rent out farm land is that is your Property Liberality Insurance company may not cover any Problems that may happen on your land unless You tell them you rent or lease to others
 
I have been hunting a place for the last two years on just a phone call to the deer manager on the farm I hunt. Pretty good spot. Got 4 deer there last year.. The owner took over managing the hunting and is now wanting me to sign a 4 page letter outlining when, where and etc. And that I wont sue them if I fall out of a tree, slip in the snow and bust a leg etc . Basically I can't sue if I get hurt. I am not the sue type anyways. I get hurt it's my fault. My question to you all is this. Is this the new normal and is it wise to sign the paper just to hunt? I enjoy it but don't "need" to hunt. Should I have them sign something in return that protects myself from some lawsuit from them? I deal with a firm handshake that binds me to my word. This is just all new to me. What do you all advise?
It likely the new normal... tis a very litigious world we live in these days.

Annnnd while you may not sue someone if injured on their property... your insurance company very well might sue them (to recoup their pay out for your injuries).
Having hunters sign waivers might not protect the land owner from civil suits anyway... not sure.
 
I have been hunting a place for the last two years on just a phone call to the deer manager on the farm I hunt. Pretty good spot. Got 4 deer there last year.. The owner took over managing the hunting and is now wanting me to sign a 4 page letter outlining when, where and etc. And that I wont sue them if I fall out of a tree, slip in the snow and bust a leg etc . Basically I can't sue if I get hurt. I am not the sue type anyways. I get hurt it's my fault. My question to you all is this. Is this the new normal and is it wise to sign the paper just to hunt? I enjoy it but don't "need" to hunt. Should I have them sign something in return that protects myself from some lawsuit from them? I deal with a firm handshake that binds me to my word. This is just all new to me. What do you all advise?
It's possible that their insurance company is requiring this.
 
It likely the new normal... tis a very litigious world we live in these days.

Annnnd while you may not sue someone if injured on their property... your insurance company very well might sue them (to recoup their pay out for your injuries).
Having hunters sign waivers might not protect the land owner from civil suits anyway... not sure.
A waiver is a still a good reminder that as a guest they still have the responsibility to be careful and and be respectful.

Outside of a family member or a close friend, if someone does not accept a waiver to hunt they might not be someone I would want to have there.
 
It's possible that their insurance company is requiring this.
And the hunter's insurance company may be filing lawsuits too. If a hunter was to truly take responsibility for his actions he would not file an insurance claim and pay out of his own pocket - that will rarely happen in real life. In effect responsibility is simply pasted on to the insurance company.
 
Louisiana law says a landowner doesn’t have to mark his land.
It would be near impossible for some landowners to mark their property with the swamps we have.
Requiring marked boundaries,purple paint and/or posted signs is a crook regardless of state. How many nice 1-5 acre yards have marked boundaries,purple paint or no trespassing signs? Does that mean anyone can camp,picnic or otherwise use the yard without repercussions? I think not.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top