Deere 310c not moving

waugh621

Member
Last year i picked up a deere 310c backhoe and it worked really well. After letting it set all winter i fired it up today to move it and it wont move in either direction. The trans oil is clean (dont know if it smells i dont have that sense) however it is 1 to 2 inches over full. Last year when i got it i changed the hydro filter when i did the engine oil. Is there another filter i missed for the trans and will being a little over full cause this problem
Thanks Nate
 
Last year i picked up a deere 310c backhoe and it worked really well. After letting it set all winter i fired it up today to move it and it wont move in either direction. The trans oil is clean (dont know if it smells i dont have that sense) however it is 1 to 2 inches over full. Last year when i got it i changed the hydro filter when i did the engine oil. Is there another filter i missed for the trans and will being a little over full cause this problem
Thanks Nate
A little over full won't hurt.

Did you pull the transmission suction screen and clean it?
 
When you say transmission, are you talking about the rear axle and four speed? Or are you refering to the shuttle mounted to the bell housing. It should have a separate dipstick. It would have a cast oil pan with about 6, 3/8 bolts to remove to clean suction screen. If it is low on oil it could just need to warm up for the torque converter and pump to charge.
 
No, where is that located?
Lower right side of the transmission about 6" behind the transmission filter. Round headed plug with a 1/2" square hole in the center.

Did you use JD Hy Gard or an equivalent J20C fluid?

Check all the linkage for the shuttle lever. I seem to remember some of those had a roll pin in the linkage that would shear so the shuttle valve didn't move.

I have to ask, are you sure the gear box levers are fully in a gear, stranger things have happened.
 
I am not too sure on that if i put the shuttle shift in either position and then try and shift gears i do not feel them turning.
I let it run for 15-20 minuets before trying to move it.
 
Lower right side of the transmission about 6" behind the transmission filter. Round headed plug with a 1/2" square hole in the center.

Did you use JD Hy Gard or an equivalent J20C fluid?

Check all the linkage for the shuttle lever. I seem to remember some of those had a roll pin in the linkage that would shear so the shuttle valve didn't move.

I have to ask, are you sure the gear box levers are fully in a gear, stranger things have happened.
When you say transmission, are you talking about the rear axle and four speed? Or are you refering to the shuttle mounted to the bell housing. It should have a separate dipstick. It would have a cast oil pan with about 6, 3/8 bolts to remove to clean suction screen. If it is low on oil it could just need to warm up for the torque converter and pump to charge.
You are right I was thinking of the wrong model. The 310C doesn't have the screen that the 310s up through the B had.
 
You are right I was thinking of the wrong model. The 310C doesn't have the screen that the 310s up through the B had.
Jim I am looking on the Deere publications site. They only show a TM for the 310C, or am I looking the wrong place? YT only shows an Op’s. manual for the 310A. I would recommend Peaceful Creek they have one for about $30. So yes I am recommending that waugh get a manual. A lot cheaper then a burnt up drive train.
 
Jim I am looking on the Deere publications site. They only show a TM for the 310C, or am I looking the wrong place? YT only shows an Op’s. manual for the 310A. I would recommend Peaceful Creek they have one for about $30. So yes I am recommending that waugh get a manual. A lot cheaper then a burnt up drive train.
The JD Construction and Forestry bookstore is a pain. It takes digging to find things. The 310C Operator's manual is OMT83910. The technical manual is a two book set. TM1419 which is the test manual $250-285 depending on type of media) and TM1420 which is the repair manual ($192 to 220 depending on type of media). The Test Manual is needed for diagnostics, testing, and adjusting. The Repair manual is the nuts and bolts of doing repairs. They also show a TM1419SET which looks like it has a couple electrical pictorials along with the TM1419 manual, one would have to call on that, I couldn't get a price to show.

The Operator's manual can be downloaded for free. Here is a link to the site. Enter the manual numbers I posted one at a time in the center search box to get to that manual.

JD Construction and Forestry Bookstore.

Here is a link to the parts catalog, free to use online.

PC2068 Parts Catalog 310C
 
No. Atleast not as far as i can tell it dont seem to be thin either
Did you crack open the transmission drain plug to MAKE SURE there wasn't water/ice at the bottom of the tranny? You sounded a little hesitant on your answer to that one. It is not uncommon to have an iceberg in there if your temps have been below freezing for a week or two, and it sits outside most of the time. 1 to two inches over full would be a hint that part of that is water/ice. steve
 
Did you crack open the transmission drain plug to MAKE SURE there wasn't water/ice at the bottom of the tranny? You sounded a little hesitant on your answer to that one. It is not uncommon to have an iceberg in there if your temps have been below freezing for a week or two, and it sits outside most of the time. 1 to two inches over full would be a hint that part of that is water/ice. steve
I will try that this after noon and report back
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top