Determining Rim Size and Application at a Salvage Yard

RTR

How can I determine what rims fit what at a salvage yard ? I am near a place that has shut down and sold out and 80% of the parts are being scrapped. Wanted to snag some parts I need before they are gone but don’t know how to tell what is what.

I’m needing spin out rims for my D-17 and D-10. I will carry a tape measure with me but don’t know how to tell. Need spin out wheel centers for the D-17 also.
IMG_2199.jpeg

I was thinking someone might know the measurement of the rims. I saw some spin outs that seemed like they would be the proper size for a d17, but it’s hard to tell and I’m totally guessing. The D-10 rims would be similar to a Super A Farmall sized rim. Having measurements would be nice so I don’t buy something useless to me

The Allis Parts book for my D-14 shows the wheels sizes. (10''x28'') for the Spin outs. I do not have info for the SPECIFIC D-12 or D-17 but if you can access the Agco/Allis Parts Site... The description/photo and size should be shown. And it is a bit confusing to me, as the tires are 14.9 x 26. But the wheel/rim is a 10 x 28. I am sure there is a reasonable correlation for the 26 inch tire vs 28 inch wheel..... if that's what those numbers represent. HTH some.

Last edited:
The D17 is going to need a 13 or 14" wide x 28" 4 rail spinout rim. The D10 is a 10, 11, or 13x24" 4 rail spinout. Rims are left or right, so that isn't important. They did change the rim clamps on the D17 so you need to pay attention to how the rails are drilled for the rim stop bolts. Width is measured from the inside of the bead and diameter is measured from the bottom of the bead. Measuring the inside of the rim diameter will be close enough the difference will be obvious.
AaronSEIA

The Allis Parts book for my D-14 shows the wheels sizes. (10''x28'') for the Spin outs. I do not have info for the SPECIFIC D-12 or D-17 but if you can access the Agco/Allis Parts Site... The description/photo and size should be shown. And it is a bit confusing to me, as the tires are 14.9 x 26. But the wheel/rim is a 10 x 28. I am sure there is a reasonable correlation for the 26 inch tire vs 28 inch wheel..... if that's what those numbers represent. HTH some.
28" tires don't fit on 26" rims. The D14 parts catalog shows 10x28, 10x38, 11x26, 12x26, and 16x26 rims for options, along with a number of tire sizes associated with those rim sizes.

The D10 used 24" power adjust rims. 10. 11, and 12 or 13" wide.

The D17 used 26, 28, and 38" rims of varying widths depending on tire size and series.

In all cases you need the right diameter centers to match the rims.

I am guessing you measured total width and diameter in all your pictures.

Width is measured inside the outer lips, not across the outside of the lips.

Diameter is measured where the tire beads set, not including the lips.

You should be able to get close on these dimensions if you measure the rims on your tractors.

The center hole is an inside the hole measurement. Then you also need the bolt/stud hole bolt circle and size of the holes. You should measure and know what your current center hole and bolt circle diameters are.

In your pictures:

The top rim might be a 10 x 28, if I try to figure the lips out of the measurement.

The wheel center might be a 5-1/2" center hole. 8 holes, bolt circle diameter unknown.

The second rim you are showing might be a 12 x 30, if lips are not included and diameter was measured exactly across center.

Picture and tape angles can throw the measurements, we see in pictures off compared to what you saw when measuring.

wheel-diameter-width (1).jpg

First one is an 11x28 which would work for the D17 but a 12 or 13 would be better. Second is a 14x30 which would not. Measure using the drawing Jim posted. I tried to explain it, but the picture does it better.
AaronSEIA

Thank you all for the help! Maybe I can get back over there before it is all scrapped. It's only 30 min away, but it all depends on if I'm headed there for work or not.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back