Did I miss something???

Goose

This week on a local online consignment auction a set of about 15 used Snap-On combination wrenches sold for $241.00.

Were they paying for the name?

(quoted from post at 10:20:17 08/26/23) This week on a local online consignment auction a set of about 15 used Snap-On combination wrenches sold for $241.00.

Were they in a stand up roll away tool box and cabinet?

(quoted from post at 13:20:17 08/26/23) This week on a local online consignment auction a set of about 15 used Snap-On combination wrenches sold for $241.00.

Somewhat you might say they were paying for the name. Snap-On is higher quality than most and new costs more than most brands to begin with, thus are more desirable. Depending on the 15 sizes and the condition, that price is likely in line, maybe a bit high. Those desiring Snap-On tools will pay the price.

That and it was an auction, it is not uncommon for things to bring more than they would at a straight sale; especially if two or three people want the item and get hung up in ''he isn't going to get it from me''. I think most have seen used implements at auction go for almost as much, or more, than one could make a deal for on a new one.

Well, a new 10pc Metric set lists on the Snap-On site at 735 bucks! And that's why all my Snap-On stuff was bought used, most at local auctions. I do have some Williams sockets that were new, used to be same as Snap-on in a lot of cases but cheaper. Now some Williams are made off-shore while Snap-on is still American made.

There are people like that. They'll pay $200 for a tool but would drop it like a turd if the same tool only cost $20.

I have Thousands of $$$$$ in Snap On tools and everyone is worth more than what I paid for them. Some have doubled and some tripled in value. Most people that complain about the price of Snap On tools buy junk tools and then complain when it breaks but yet replace there broken tools with more junk. Buy the best (Snap On) and you only have to buy it once.

I just polished my tool box a couple days ago and have been wondering the best way to sell it and the tools, at soon to be 75 years old I may not need them much longer.
When I retired ten years ago the Snap On dealer replaced some screw drivers and some sockets with peeling chrome plus replaced some dead blow hammers. I didn't lean on him, he just did it.
cvphoto161795.jpg

cvphoto161796.jpg

When I was a Ford Service Manager I used to hate the Snap-On truck.

The service department would be humming along, things would be getting done, customers in the waiting room would be expecting their car to be done in a few minutes, etc. Then the Snap-On truck would drive up and the whole department would shut down for a half hour or more. That particular Snap-On salesman was a BS artist well aware that the longer he could keep someone in his truck the more likely they were to buy something, whether they needed it or not.

I finally laid down the law, no more than two at a time to the truck, and no more than 10 minutes, and if they couldn't abide by that, I'd make up a checkout sheet and they could go one at a time.

Don't have any Snap On tools. I think the only tool that's ever broken on me was the ratchet from a 1/4" Crasftman socket set.

There was no hard use on it, the ratchet just would not catch any more. I took it to Sears when we had a Sears in Hemet and the guy at the cashier thing in the tool department just reached under his counter and handed me a new one. I like the new one better because it was one that had the little toggle lever on the face to reverse it. Still, I never could figure why he happened to have a brand new ratchet right there under his counter. :wink:

Maybe he took it out of a set but he sure grabbed it fast.

(quoted from post at 12:51:27 08/26/23) ...Looked up on web site 14 pc 3/8 to 1-1/8 plus 1-1/4 set $ 1040.00 add for 1-3/16 $ 104.50. Auction was dirt cheep if the same items. Leroy
Snap-on is sort of like a toothless man driving a Bugatti. I prefer teeth and a Toyota.

I love getting the Snap-On people worked up over their tools. It's all about marketing and the perception of quality.

NAPA or Ace Hardware can sell a wrench for $10 and someone will buy it and go to work. A Snap-On salesman can sell the same wrench off of his truck for several times that and the buyer will brag about the great deal he got on a quality tool.

FWIW, Snap-On's website shows manufacturers in 11 foreign countries, including China.

Interesting.

Project Farm does some pretty good tool comparison tests on YouTube.

This is his comparison of some name brand wrenches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtrgSOnGoCI&t=402s

I can't say much about cheap wrenches or high dollar ones. I have some end wrenches from some place they sent me from somewhere 30and 40 years ago were from 3/8-1-1/4 set. Never broke but one of them and it was a 13/16th's I have bent a lot of cheap wrenches using them . I was not modifying it to use in a special place just bent it when I put a pipe on the wrench. I never did that with the better brands like MAC,Snap-on,Williams,Cornwall or such but have the cheap harbor freight type ones. IF the bolt or nut is in decent shape most times they will loosen the fastener though if corners are not up to snuff they will round them off with a 12 point wrench or socket. I tend to just by 6 point sets at pawn shops or other places like that. Then if I need a 12 point for a specific job then I go buy just that size socket. IT is hard to fins 6 point boxend wrenches unless you do buy off the tool trucks or find them in a sale some place most stocked are 12 point. I have bought some sets of the Mac or Proto ssockets new from the high dollar guys though not many.I was at one of the surplus company buyout places one time and got a set of 1 inch drive impact sockets with a couple extensions for something like 70 dollars about 40 years ago all Williams pieces. I've got craftsman in there also. from 30 plus years ago as well as proto and the rest of the brands. I buy at pawn shops alot or did in the past. Had the same warranty with a lot less price than the truck price.

I have many thousands of dollars worth of tools. When I started out, Snap On was about the only tool truck around and then there were the junk tools. Back then, the off brand stuff was junk,, that's why I have mostly Snap On . Then Mac and Matco started showing up and I bought from them also. In the last 20 years, the off brand quality got better and I started buying some of those. From what I've seen, a lot of the off brand stuff is just as good as the big name stuff now. I never liked Craftsman because it seemed like their wrenches fit loose on bolts and I kept wrecking the ratchets. Also, about every 6 months I'd have to get the Snap On ratchets repaired. Finally traded them for Mac ratchets. Only needed to get a 3/8 replaced once in the last 20+ years.

Yeah, Snap-On tools are expensive. But anybody who says a cheap tool will do the same has obviously never used a Snap-On tool in a demanding application. Yes, that cheap tool will do the same job, right up until it won't, which is usually at the worst possible moment, then you have a stripped or rounded fastener when the job is promised in ten minutes. Those times are when a quality tool shines.

Do I own some cheap tools? Yes, but I know where to use them, and when to use the Snap-On tools. There are some Snap-On tools there are no comparison for, their wrenches, their sockets, and their screwdrivers. I rely on those everyday. I've never broken a Snap-On socket bigger than 1/4 drive 10mm, even my impact swivels. I have worn them out, then a replacemet is just for the asking. Their other no comparison tool is their proprietary ball joint press, it pulls through where my $150 OTC routinely failed.

Are some Snap-On reps con artists? Yes, but I am thankful to have a good one. Everything on that truck is negotiable if you don't have to have it now. My rep also knows I'll be paying cash in full for hand tools, so he'll work with me more. He will also tell me when to wait, because Snap-On runs in sale cycles, and he knows a few months ahead what will be on a promo. He saved me $300 on 3/8 impact swivels by having me wait 2 months. When I bought my diagnosis system, he fought for a nnalert for me because I was going to get a business loan and Snap-On needed to beat the bank rate.

Down talk Snap-On all you want, think I'm wasting my money when Horror Freight trash 'might' do the job. That's fine, I'll be earning a living while you're driving to their store, burning fuel, to get your 14th 'free' replacement.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back