Did something stupid

Pete-N-Ga

Member
Hey guys, I did a stupid thing this afternoon. I have a 54 NAA, 6 volt. I had taken the battery out to charge it and put it in backwards. Wouldn't crank (duh) so I hooked the charger back to it, everything still backwards. Finally saw what I had done and turned battery around but still very weak and won't start. What have I killed?
 
Nothing. Just switch the cables around on the battery and polorize your generator by shorting the "BAT" and "FLD" connections together for a second (there will be a small spark - no worries). Do this with the battery in place and the ignition on (but not started).

I suspect your battery issues is the battery itself.

Dan
 
Thanks, Dan, I think the battery has about had it. Too late to go and have it checked out tonight. Probably have to wait til weekend. Still can't believe i did that!
 
I wouldn't beat myself too hard if I was you. I'd bet most of us have done that at least once. Gets harder to keep track of when you have lots of tractors with different voltages. If that's the worst mistake you ever make with your tractor, you're WAY ahead! lol
jb
ps.....your tractor WILL start(and run) with a GOOD battery, but not with much power as the spark will be weak. Don't sweat it.
 
It should have cranked with the backwards battery.. the fact that it didn't probably means the battery is shot... Also the fact that it didn't start probably means the genny and regualtor are fine... Sounds like you may have lucked out. Dan gave you good info on polarizing the genny when you get a good battery.

soundguy
 
I revered the battery cables on my 1948 8N I just restored a few months back. I smacked myself in the head when I discovered this.

Yep - everyone does this from time to time.

Dan
 
when i bought my '49 8n from my non-electrically oriented father in law, the battery actually had a negative 6v charge on it. i didn't think it was possible. but i saw it with my own eyes. he said, "yeh, since it's a positive ground battery, you charge it that way!" lol.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top