Diesel Engine Starting RPMs

M Miller

Member
Anyone know the starting rpm for a 1968 BD154 diesel engine? My books don't list this. I was assuming somewhere from "125 min" to 150 rpm. Is this correct or is it higher.
Thk 's for the help
 
M Miller: I don't know as I ever discussed this with anyone in actual rpm's. I do know that it is not possible to crank a diesel too fast with a started.

Some of these early diesels could get a bit trying if the fuel system was emptied for any reason. I always found a tow start to be quite effective in this situation. These weren't overloaded with battery and starter power, thus anything one could do to save the starter, cut down on repair bills. I do know that if you tow start a diesel, you should not tow it faster than the gear selection and throttle setting would move it should it be running. They will not start if towed faster than that.

It will be same with starter, low idle on most diesels is around 500-600 rpm. I don't think you'll encounter too many problems, unless you have a starter that cranks it faster than that. Basically that is what the old pup starts did, crank the diesel at idle speed until it started firing.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top