diesel fuel additives for better fuel efficiency ?

JK-NY

I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about fuel additives to help lubricity and cold weather fuel flow . I wonder if anyone that uses any brand of fuel additive like Stanadyne, Power Service, Howes etc has noticed lower fuel consumption with any additive ? In this age of high fuel costs I thought this might make for a good conversation. Most of the additives claim to help lower fuel consumption , give added power etc. FWIW I have been using an additive foe years now and never really paid attention to see if there was a benefit as far as added power or better fuel economy. I have always used them more for added lubricity and winter performance. I primarily used Stanadyne Performance but have used the white bottle Power Service and now have some Howes to try . I add the additive to the storage tank when I get fuel delivered so I dont have to screw around adding it when I fuel the tractor.

Do you know what fuel you're getting?

My supplier tells me he can purchase fuel oil, or diesel fuel. The difference is, as he loads diesel fuel, an additive is injected into the line. He has used the diesel fuel in heating systems, does service work on them, and is convinced the additive makes for a much cleaner burn.

I've been getting my fuel from him for several years now, and have had no problems.

I've always been skeptical of additives. The ones that claim to add mileage, even if it did, would there be any advantage in the end with the price of the additive added in?

Todays fuels are closely monitored, high tech, scientific blends. If there were a way to make it burn cleaner or more efficiently, it would already be in there, not something to buy and add.

Some 'problem solving' additives may have some legitimacy to them, but still, they are selling this stuff to make money first. Solving a problem is a maybe at best.

Diesel fuels are blended for beast seasonal performance but that means if you're purchasing diesel fuel from a station along the road the fuel you're pumping into your vehicle is properly blended for that time of year assuming the station is selling a high enough volume to provide reasonably fresh fuel. That has very little to do with farm fuel which might have been pumped into a storage tank 2 years ago and no one knows if it's #1, #2 or something in between. #2 diesel fuel will deliver more power to the ground than #1. Will it be noticeable? Probably not unless you're operating right on the edge, i.e. tractor pulling, etc. Better overall performance will come with heavier diesel fuel (not much kerosene in it). Better winter starting and resistance to jelling and icing will come with more kerosene, i.e. lighter fuel. I doubt if any of the snake oil being sold over the counter will get you any more power. Although, I always order #2 Premium Disesel Fuel. Then I do whatever is necessary to make sure my tractor tank has #1 or even Artic (if available) in it and well circulated prior to the arrival of winter temps.

Yes. I have a friend in the fuel business. He makes sure his fuel oil customers with outside tanks get diesel fuel for their furnace fuel. No problems clogging up.

I am about on the same program. The last time I filled the diesel fuel tank I got summer blend #2 off road fuel, and then had the same fuel put in the fuel oil tank for the furnace . The delivery drivers tell me the same thing as your supplier, additives and dye are added at the loading rack. The driver who often delivers my fuel does quite a bit of job-site equipment fueling so he usually has the off road fuel on the truck, and they just bill you according to your application ( tax added on fuel oil).

I am aware of the performance differences in summer vs winter blended diesel fuel. I always get off road #2 fuel . I rarely use the diesel tractors in real cold temperatures , usually only if I need the loader to move snow , but we have had several winters where that has'nt been necessary. I used to go get some kerosene in fuel cans and add that to the tractor fuel tank in the winter to make a winter blend , but it has'nt been necessary to do that in a few years. #1 fuel/kerosene does not give any protection against icing , but will prevent gelling/fuel waxing in real cold temperatures. I guess finding real differences in fuel comsumption might be easier to track in a truck fleet where fuel mileage is tracked of maybe in a new diesel pickup where the computer might give you mpg info on the dash . The you still have to consider seasonal fuel mix differences , and maintainance being kept up etc . Most of the popular diesel fuel additives do promise added power , I just posted this to see if anyone ever noticed a real difference /advantage when using the additive. I can't really say either way, I am like most people , when the tractor needs fuel I fill it and dont really track how much I use , as that can vary a lot based on how heavy of work you are doing.

Just where do these additives come from? My guess is from crude oil. So they take it out so you can buy it back?

About every 2 weeks some body brings this dead horse up to beat to death again. All wives tales with solution to it. You use what you want. I don't use anything and don't have fuel trouble. The cheapest most effective thing you can do is buy fuel from a reputable supplier keep the fuel and all utensils clean enough to eat off from and you will be fine. IF you have storage tanks drain the water off the bottom yearly. We have engines around here with decades of use with no fuel issues.I believe it is from following the clean fuel and equipment with timely water draining on the tanks. Condensation does collect in tanks and needs to be drained out occasionally. Otherwise the poor horse is dead no point beating more.

Sorry if I annoyed you , I didn't remember anyone specifically discussing additives helping with increased power/efficiency so just thought I would put it out for discussion. I know additives have been discussed for winter use and lubricity. My fuel is properly stored , fuel filters changed etc. I have never really had any diesel fuel-related issues , and glad to hear your program is working for you.

Many years ago I had a 6.2 Chev diesel pickup. Was running low on fuel and this small town had no diesel pumps. I asked the attendant if they sold fuel oil. He said yes ,so I pulled over and put 5 gallons in my tank. The attendant said your fried man, it I will not burn in apickup. I drove away, him not knowing the only difference was no road tax on fuel oil.

going through my brothers stuff, I found a couple bottles of diesel additive. I am thinking, what can it hurt. If they sell the stuff it must do some good. Stan

JK, I think someone was doing a bit of exaggeration. 'Discussed before' should have been in place of 'discussed every two weeks'. It might surprise all of us how often the same topics arise again and again and nobody worries about it very much except for those who go out of their way to worry about it.

Stanadyne used to gain 1 - 1.5 mpg hand figured on paper every time it doesnt any more : if you want mileage throw a programmer on it . My 98 weighs 11000 pounds with the chip off it gets 11 mpg with the chip on 13 loaded empty about 16 empty .

The main reason i use diesel additive is to absorb the water, if it does that, and as far as i am concerned it does,i figure it's worth the money!

That and keeps the injectors clean . I had a sticky injector in my 4020 last spring dumped a quart of atf and it cleaned up but why not keep them from sticking in the first place

Fuel additives don't all work the same. Take a cup and pour a little fuel into it and add a drop of water. Add the additive and see if the water disappears or just moved. There is a difference you will see. The good ones make the water disappear and the other ones just move the water. I don't know from experience about economy, but some probably do a much better job than others, just like anything else.

been playing with diesels since the 50's; both farming and trucking. I've heard every wives tale. some listed above. don't take yourself too serious! Not one additive will decrease your consumption enuff to even pay for the additive, if it decreases at all. Weather plays more into truck mileage or hourly consumption on a tractor, then any other factor!

PS in the grey container is what I use. Increases Cetane and cleans injectors both of which help. Having had old and new, my 2007 Branson with the Cummins B 3.3 NA 4 cylinder naturally aspired, direct injected, is advertised at 0.046 gallons per actual HP being used per hr. and I believe it. No way would my JD diesel beasts of the past even come close to that and considering the JD Propane forget it. Besides that its 4wd at 57 PTO hp rated and I use my leftover implements from my 100HP JD 4230 2 wheel drive in mid range gears. That really surprised me.

I knew at least two guys who owned those old Mercedes 200 series diesel engine cars back in the 60s who used home heating fuel.

I'm with fastfarmall & SV.
I use Kleen-Flo Diesel Fuel Conditioner in my Case 188D that had over 6000 hrs on it at probably twice the recommended dosage. The first 10 years, there were chunks of carbon all over the hood after every use. Still a bit now but the more I use it, the better it runs.

Back in 1981 a guy came through and talked the boss into his additive and it worked. 1 mile per gallon better mileage,and when you are running seven road tractors that is a lot of money. He had the additive sent to a lab and analyzed for content. They sent him a case of it, and it ate the solder out of the cans(1/2 pint)He never ran it again, but the secret formula was fingernail polish remover. I saw the lab report,but when the cans started leaking Jack could just see the pumps melting!

I use additives that i trust. I WOULD join a Class action suit against the makers of NANO ENERGIzER. TRUE.. That stuff improved diesel performance and cleaned the systems. BUTTTT... Every Diesel that that junk was used on needed new injectors , lift pumps, injector pumps, It Cost me 15 grand to fix.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back