Diesel fuel?

Geo-TH,In

I have 5 gallons of winter blend diesel
left and no chance of fuel jelling.
Spring has arrived.
Question, reason I shouldn't burn it now?
I know this is a dump question for most.
Keep in Mind this is my first diesel. I'm leaning towards burning now.

Thanks
George

It's not like you're going to drain the remaining winter fuel out of your tractors fuel tank now that it is warm out.

Dump it in and use it up or you will be short a jerry can until winter comes around again.

Plus if you tried to store it till next winter it could go bad before you could use it again

Geo TH in,

I test fuel, using laboratory analysis. The long term storage of any bio-component is shorter lived than that of a straight fuel. If it were mine, I'd use it up. You may find the miniscule reduction in power immeasurable (less energy per gallon).

Straight #1 and #2 store well, anything else and it's better being used immediately.

D.

Winter diesel (#1) is drier, and has less btu. It offers a tad less lubrications to the pump and such.

Using it in summer you will see a tad less power, and the tractor will run a little hotter.

But..... if you dump 5 gallons into a 20 gallon tank with regular summer fuel, it will dilute out to not even be noticeable.

And, if you arent doing heavy plowing or other work to max out the hp for 3 hours straight, it wont make any noticeable difference at all.

Go ahead and use it. Wont be any problem. Would be a little better if you are blending it with regular #2 or adding a little bit of fuel lubricity product, but its no big deal for 5 gallons.

No reason why you cant use it . Is it an actual number one number 2 blend or just number 2 with an additive in my guess the latter . Either way its fine

Where you dont use your diesel under hard load in the field you will not notice a difference in performance. If you did use your tractor for hard loads in the field even then you might not notice a difference.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you guys on YT dynoed a tractor while comparing the two fuels? It would be interesting to see the results.

If it's just a winter blend in your area it's not much different than summer fuel, with maybe no bio, mix it and use it. I had 3 gallons of summer fuel that I had drained out of our tractor last fall, yesterday I poured it in with the winter diesel in the tractor, it didn't want to go through a fine screen funnel very well. I hope it doesn't plug my filter when I'm at the south 40. I'm pretty sure that I had put a little biocide in it too.

Use it and not worry. I buy fuel when it is cheapest in 1000 gallon lots whether it be spring or fall. It gets used year round. Never had a fuel related problem yet. run all sorts of engines on it.
Diesel fuel will not go bad in a year if stored in out of the weather. I've burned some over 10 years old with no ill effects.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back