Diesel Fuel Jelling

Pete-IN

When it gets this cold this site has lots of comments about how to avoid fuel jelling. I was a kid in the 1950s and early 1960s in northern Indiana. My dad had a JD 720 diesel and later a 4010 diesel. If they would start, we used them for daily dairy farm chores. I do not ever recall adding anything to the fuel. Never even heard of jelling in those days. I do remember lots of very cold weather in those times. Is todays fuel a different blend that allows that to happen?

There is a difference between gelling fuel and water in the fuel freezing. It tends to freeze up on the corners of steel fuel lines

Son found out about that this morning. He says it was probably in the filter on the frame. F350 long bed, its a LONG way from the tank to the motor on that ride.

Not a tractor. I have had dodge cummins powered pickups in the past. Had a 99 24 valve I should have never sold and a 2007 common rail 5.9 I should have never sold. Both were excellent trucks. I liked the 99 better though. I used Howes fuel treatment. I have also added a little gas to the diesel to keep it from gelling when it was cold cold. Never any issues with that. I did have an issue with Power Service. Put it in filled up, went through half a tank and then the next morning I was on my way to work and it gelled. At -10. Thats just my experience. I run a gas 5.7 3/4 ton now. Needed a new truck and didnt want all the hassles of the emissions stuff.

i second that. new fuel filters just before winter really helps out. howe's double the rate is good insurance. keep the biodiesel out during SEVERE cold. back in the 70's and 80's, the main chore diesel got straight #1 diesel in winter

I agree. I always put new fuel filters in around October or November. Start using winter blend as soon as my distributor has it. That is usually around the beginning of November.

When they went from high sulfur diesel to the lower sulfur mixes, the fuel did become more susceptible to gelling. Probably about a 10 degree difference.

As to what fuel your supplier provides, it varies greatly depending on where you are. Most places the fuel is appropriately blended or treated for the average expected temperatures.

Many major truck stops still sell primarily untreated #2 year round. And here on the northern prairies it is common to have to blend your own, or select the appropriate blend at the pump as they have #2 and #1 in separate pumps.

Fuel suppliers in the north are better about blending winter diesel. Odds are on the farm, your fuel supplier took care of things. I had over half a dozen diesels running in the past few days; no issues, no added snake oil. Just preparedness.

Most likely you were not adding anything because it came to your farm blended. here in NH, after Nov. 1 fuel is blended at the pump, so it is just a matter of planning to have blended fuel to put into the tank.

Your fuel supplier probably provided "winter blend" fuel. Maybe your Dad requested it. Maybe the supplier automatically delivered it.

Winter blend is made by mixing kerosene or #1 diesel in with the regular fuel. The lighter fuels were more resistant to gelling.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back