Diesel leak

Texasmark

Back to the 3600 drip drip drip while running. First of all I can't exactly locate the source. I thought it was the seals (steel orings) on the distributor output adapter to the fuel line up to the injector, on the bottom of the pump......one on the outboard is in plain sight and isn't the problem. Replaced them, compressed as Diesel Tech specified....... originals had no signs of damage......leak continued. The leak is definitely lower on the body of the pump, not the top gasket or anything atop half way up the unit, but on the back side.

On the back side of the pump is (as you know) very unaccessible both visually and mechanically.

I had this wild idea that it might be the seals on the injector line, back side of the pump that are almost impossible to see much less fix.

What if I follow that pipe up to the respective injector and disconnect the pipe at the injector which should relieve the pressure on the pipe, run the tractor (limping) and if drip stops dripping, or the dripping has slowed, then I think one could expect it to be one or both of those two steel orings on that cylinder and that finding would encourage me to walk the walk and replace those seals.

Am I nuts or does this wild idea have merit?

It would take a long time to leak a gallon of diesel and that is a moot cost. The problem is that it makes a mess and I am getting tired of putting up with that.

Thanks,
Mark

Back to the 3600 drip drip drip while running. First of all I can't exactly locate the source. I thought it was the seals (steel orings) on the distributor output adapter to the fuel line up to the injector, on the bottom of the pump......one on the outboard is in plain sight and isn't the problem. Replaced them, compressed as Diesel Tech specified....... originals had no signs of damage......leak continued. The leak is definitely lower on the body of the pump, not the top gasket or anything atop half way up the unit, but on the back side.

On the back side of the pump is (as you know) very unaccessible both visually and mechanically.

I had this wild idea that it might be the seals on the injector line, back side of the pump that are almost impossible to see much less fix.

What if I follow that pipe up to the respective injector and disconnect the pipe at the injector which should relieve the pressure on the pipe, run the tractor (limping) and if drip stops dripping, or the dripping has slowed, then I think one could expect it to be one or both of those two steel orings on that cylinder and that finding would encourage me to walk the walk and replace those seals.

Am I nuts or does this wild idea have merit?

It would take a long time to leak a gallon of diesel and that is a moot cost. The problem is that it makes a mess and I am getting tired of putting up with that.

Thanks,
Mark
Where is the fuel going to go that is going to come out the injector line you unhook when you run the tractor? I expect you will have more than a drip at that point.

Where is the fuel going to go that is going to come out the injector line you unhook when you run the tractor? I expect you will have more than a drip at that point.
The idea is to find the current leak. Obviously fuel will come out the end of the tube but opening/cracking the nut will keep the pressure in the line from building up (1600# or whatever it takes to knock the injector off its seat) which just might be the key to determining if that fuel line at the attachment point to the pump, aka the two steel seals one of which may be leaking, is the source of the leak. Won't take but a few minutes to make that determination and may be the key in my finding the drip source.

Sounds like the leak could be the hydraulic head to housing O ring, or could also be the advance block seals. I've been seeing more of those leaks in for repair lately.

Sounds like the leak could be the hydraulic head to housing O ring, or could also be the advance block seals. I've been seeing more of those leaks in for repair lately.
I'll scrounge up a schematic/parts breakdown view of a CAV and see how to get to those. On my idea to relieve the pressure on the line I can't see does that have merit or am I wasting my time?
Thanks

The best way I've found to see where leaks come from is with an air blow gun to keep the suspect area dry. Use a bright light and then watch to see where the dampness starts.

I took the injector tube coupler (to the pump) off and inspected it and the end of the tube and could see no flaws nor cracks. Inspected the mounting surface and found no flaws. Put it back together with a second set of new seals and got the adapter secured then finished tightening the tube nut. That seemed to reduce the drip but something else is causing that problem and I am through fooling with it. It would involve dismantling a lot of things that currently work and I have just decided that this little drip just isn't that much of a nuisance. I have tried all the things suggested except for the seals Diesel Tech mentioned, and it still drips.
Thanks for your support

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back