diff. ring gear rivet replacement nutbolt kit ?

Joe_P

New User
Well, I managed to shear off all 12 of the rivets holding the ring gear into the diff. carrier of my 1952 8N. The lack of propulsion mystery is now solved! The ring and pinion don't have any signs of damage and I hope to fix this problem ASAP. I did some searching and found some posts that mention a nut & bolt replacement for the original rivets. I even found one post that included part numbers. bolt:9n-44215A, nut:45313-S34. I have been able to find the bolt p/n at online parts stores (less the 9N prefix) but in the list of applications they have the NAA,600,700,800 etc but not the 8N. Could anyone enlighten me as to the applicability of these parts? I have not had luck finding the nut p/n listed at any parts stores either. Could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
-Joe
 
(quoted from post at 14:23:45 07/16/08) Well, I managed to shear off all 12 of the rivets holding the ring gear into the diff. carrier of my 1952 8N. The lack of propulsion mystery is now solved! The ring and pinion don't have any signs of damage and I hope to fix this problem ASAP. I did some searching and found some posts that mention a nut & bolt replacement for the original rivets. I even found one post that included part numbers. bolt:9n-44215A, nut:45313-S34. I have been able to find the bolt p/n at online parts stores (less the 9N prefix) but in the list of applications they have the NAA,600,700,800 etc but not the 8N. Could anyone enlighten me as to the applicability of these parts? I have not had luck finding the nut p/n listed at any parts stores either. Could someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks,
-Joe

I would shop and find the best deal on a good carrier W/ ring gear,,, good as it sounds the bolt deal chucks,,, no way to hammer'em down,,, they werk loose,,, I have never did the repair myself but seen a previous repair,,, ring gear was loose,,, no way to nail the bolts,,, I spec the rivets wallered out the holes so the bolts were a loose fit,,, look into that,,, time you buy new bolts I spec you will B rite close to a good used unit,,, used units go for $50 up,,, good luck hunt'n
 
I did the same repair a couple years ago. Here's the post from back then about it.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=566976
 
Pete,
Nice job!! Looks brilliant. I think I will follow that route. I wonder if a little zap with the TIG welder may work instead of the cotter pin method. Although drilling the cotter pin holes would not be that much more effort than tigin it and disassembly would be quicker if need be.
Thanks a lot.
-Joe
 
(quoted from post at 11:28:53 07/16/08) Pete,
Nice job!! Looks brilliant. I think I will follow that route. I wonder if a little zap with the TIG welder may work instead of the cotter pin method. Although drilling the cotter pin holes would not be that much more effort than tigin it and disassembly would be quicker if need be.
Thanks a lot.
-Joe

I don't know if it is any help at all, but here is what the NH parts lookup shows...

12 86531502 BOLT Bolt, Rear Axle Driven Gear, Years: 01/01/1939-12/31/1952
12 45313S34 NUT Nut, Slotted, 7/16"-20, Years: 01/01/1939-12/31/1952
 

I'd probably opt for some quality lock nuts rather than putz around with the cross drilling - and I have a nicely equipped machine shop with lots of equipment. I'd also suggest you check the Fastenal website for price and availabilty on the fasteners.

TOH
 
Thanks for all the great ideas guys. That fastenal site is pretty good, i'll have to keep that one in my bookmarks. I'll let you know how it works out.
Thanks again, this has been a great help.
-Joe
 
I had the same problem, found it when I was replacing the pto seal and found nuts, bolts lying in the bottom of the differential housing. The boltholes were walled out so I had to have them drilled out to the next larger size and had the new bolts installed by a company nearby that specializes in heavy duty truck differential repairs. Does this happen to these tractors or was my tractor subjected to abuse?
 
(quoted from post at 20:48:41 07/16/08) I had the same problem, found it when I was replacing the pto seal and found nuts, bolts lying in the bottom of the differential housing. The boltholes were walled out so I had to have them drilled out to the next larger size and had the new bolts installed by a company nearby that specializes in heavy duty truck differential repairs. Does this happen to these tractors or was my tractor subjected to abuse?

My '49 8N is abused, and it hasn't happened yet.....

Now I may be getting off my rocker, but I have read something about this.

There was a manufacturing flaw at one point in time there on rivetts, they were of bad steel, and many got put in military stuff and had to be replaced.

I can't remember much more about when, and all though.
 

I have rite many used carrier ring gear bolts,,, if I ever found the time i would check to see if enny of'em fit,,, i bet one could call Randy's ring and pinion and get new bolts reasonable,,, I have a carrier out of a 52,,, the rivets are loose, rite loose,,, i don't think I could install bolts in a wollard out hole,,, just as soon have a loose rivet
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top