37chief

Well-known Member
Location
California
Dad picked up a disk plow from a neighbor when the sold her farm, he never used it, just sat for years. Someone I know was looking for a disk plow. I showed him the one I have. It has 7 24 inch blades or larger, and very heavy built. Probably from the 40's. I told him 200.00. Saves me from cutting it up. That's the only one I have ever seen. They must not have been very popular. Anyone use one? Stan
 
This is mine. It's a JD with 10 or 11 disks. It was given to me by a family friend who was hauling most of his old machinery and implements out for scrap. Along with the one way he gave me a 4 bottom JD moldboard plow, tandem disk and chisel plow and a couple other things. I'd think you'd be coming out pretty good if you get $200 for it. I don't know the market for older, smaller implements anywhere else, but in ND they bring scrap or a little above, depending on what it is. I have these around because they were free for the hauling and I was digging up some ground for a shelterbelt.
 

Attachments

  • 20240317_143259.jpg
    20240317_143259.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Dad picked up a disk plow from a neighbor when the sold her farm, he never used it, just sat for years. Someone I know was looking for a disk plow. I showed him the one I have. It has 7 24 inch blades or larger, and very heavy built. Probably from the 40's. I told him 200.00. Saves me from cutting it up. That's the only one I have ever seen. They must not have been very popular. Anyone use one? Stan
Glad you found it a good home!

It almost sounds like a disk tiller used in orchards or vineyards. I saw several north of you in Washington.

Mike
 
As others have said, one way or disk tiller. Very popular on the prairies in the days of summer fallow. Especially in areas with a few rocks where rod weeders and Noble blade plows didn’t work as well.

There were also disc plows meant for turning gumbo soil.
IMG_3288.jpeg
2 bottom Fast hitch disc plow pic from the web.
 
It should be towed by a fairly large tractor. Stan
You might be surprised. The guy that was renting mom's cropland parked one near her house and weeds grew up around it. I used her B Farmall to move it inside pasture where cows could keep it clean. I wound up plowing the field where she planed to grow sweet corn. Not very deep but much deeper than her drag disc. She had previously borrowed a neighbor's 2 bottom moldboard and the B couldn't handle it.
 
Dad picked up a disk plow from a neighbor when the sold her farm, he never used it, just sat for years. Someone I know was looking for a disk plow. I showed him the one I have. It has 7 24 inch blades or larger, and very heavy built. Probably from the 40's. I told him 200.00. Saves me from cutting it up. That's the only one I have ever seen. They must not have been very popular. Anyone use one? Stan
Chief do you have some pictures?
 
Dad picked up a disk plow from a neighbor when the sold her farm, he never used it, just sat for years. Someone I know was looking for a disk plow. I showed him the one I have. It has 7 24 inch blades or larger, and very heavy built. Probably from the 40's. I told him 200.00. Saves me from cutting it up. That's the only one I have ever seen. They must not have been very popular. Anyone use one? Stan
Pulled a 5 disc tiller for years on my Grandma''s farm with a 1949 JD A.
 
I pulled a two disk JD disk plow with my '36 JD A a couple of years ago just to see what it would do on some fallow ground, about 4 inches deep and it did a respectable job. Wish I could find a 4 or larger disk plow just for the experience. I have never seen a disk plow used in our neighborhood, even in the 1950's when I was much younger. But, one-way tillers were pretty popular back then.
 
Used a disc plow in Christmas tree ground after stump grinding. The remaining feeder roots would wrap around the mold boards on a regular plow and plug things up in a few feet. Left a pretty rough job though.
 
Had a 2 disc plow here for the super a. One thing about it, it would bury whatever you put thru it. With the rolling disc there was no clogging or wrapping.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top