Distributer Rotor and Carb Adjustment Issue H E L P

I have a 55 Ford 640 134 CI Engine Number EAE-6015
Model 4974

Gota few things going on..
First.. having tons of problems starting it up.
The rotor under the dist cap has play in it. You can actually twist it left and right about 1/4 inch in both directions after snapping it on. No clue if that's how it supposed to be or not? Never owned one of these before but it sure doesn't seem right.
If this is normal for these tractors will somebody tell me?
I can't read the dist number or I'd put it here for sure.

Next, the carb
This tractor had a carb with glass fuel bowl attached to it.
Somebody removed it and put a new fancier carb on it with inline filter. I need to know the adjustments on it.
The big fuel adjustment knob and the smaller screw/fuel misture adjustment.

I currently have the big knob about 1 1/4 turns out from fully closed.
I have the smaller fuel mixture screw set at 1 1/2 turns out from fully closed.

Am I close?

Back to the distributer..
If I need a new one can someone tell me what distributer number to purchase according to my model info up top?

Really appreciate any feedback pertaining to these issues.

Do I love my very first Ford 640 with Bucket loader?
YOU BET YOUR A$% I DO! Love this thing to death. Just gotta get it running again.

Ran when I went to purchase it..
Ran when I loaded it on car carrier
Ran when I unloaded it off carrier and dug 2 really cool holes in my field next door, then stalled.

Wouldn't start up again for over an hour then started, I parked it and now having problems with it starting intermittently.. sometimes it starts.. runs for awhile then either stalls or I shut it off and it won't restart less I let it cool down.

Replaced the rotor, coil, condensor and installed new Autolite 437 plugs and still won't restart after running awhile.

Honestly.. with the rotor moving around under the cap I have no clue how this thing even starts. H E L P I'm desperate to DIG MORE HOLES.

Is just the rotor turning or the shaft too?
The mechanical advance mechanism will let it turn and is
supposed to turn to advance timing when running under load.
If it is just the rotor, do you have the little spring clip installed?

As far as the carb, hard to say without a picture or make/model.
If it is a Marvel Schebler, I'd start at 1 1/2 on the main and 1/2
on the smaller idle air screw. It adjusts air, so in is richer and it
has far more effect on idle below 500 RPM than anything else.

What you didn't mention was if you had checked spark or cleaned
and adjusted the points. That would be my first troubleshooting step.
It's free and easy. No sense in just buying new parts until you find the cause.

Sounds like the rotor spring clip is missing and if it is yep the rotor has a lot of paly and if it runs at all it will run poorly. As for the carb sounds like some one removed the sediment bowl assembly and installed a screw on in line filter which is not correct

(quoted from post at 21:42:05 08/28/17) Sounds like the rotor spring clip is missing and if it is yep the rotor has a lot of paly and if it runs at all it will run poorly. As for the carb sounds like some one removed the sediment bowl assembly and installed a screw on in line filter which is not correct

Agree... there's no clip inside the rotor for sure..
Installed a new rotor but that one didn't have a clip in it either.
I used silicone for now to hold it still and will check into the correct rotor if I can find one.

Fuel:
They removed the steel line and installed a cheapo rubber gas line and had it against the exhaust manifold. I'm rebuilding the old carb with sediment glass bowl and installing it AND the steel line will also be installed for fire protection.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Royse,
Only the rotor is twisting left and right a little bit.. I put some silicone on it for now to hold it still. Going to try to find the correct rotor with clip somewhere out there in tractor world.

I did check the spark by grounding the spark plug wire to the chasis and ended up having spark all along. My spark tester tool I was using was lying to me. So now I have spark..

Installed new points / rotor / coil.
Points are set good now.

Fuel:
I reset the mixture screws / still no luck starting it up.
I removed the fuel line...blew it out and found it was restricted.
I'm removing the rubber fuel line they previous owner put on and re-installing the steel line for safety and the old carb after I'm done rebuilding it but for now.......

She's running good.
Starts right up with choke like we the people.
Love this thing..

Installing 2 new front tires and tubes tomorrow morning.

Fuel again:
Going to remove the tank and clean the screen and junction block on the bottom of tank where the fuel line comes out then install the steel line as it should be for safety.

Thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate the help from everyone here.
Take care.

The spring clip does not come with a new rotor. This site sells them by the way. Just trying to sort of glue it down is not likely to work because it could well be off time doing it that way.

(quoted from post at 20:02:54 08/29/17) The spring clip does not come with a new rotor. This site sells them by the way. Just trying to sort of glue it down is not likely to work because it could well be off time doing it that way.

Ok? Where would I buy one with a spring clip inside of it?
Wonder why it doesn't come with the rotor?
Oh well.. ok thanks for that information.

(quoted from post at 20:01:12 08/29/17) Spring sold separately. You can find it [b:97ec0be0b3]here[/b:97ec0be0b3] on YT.

Royse
Thanks for the info on the rotor clip.
I missed your post about where to buy one.
Just ordered one.

Have a great day.

(quoted from post at 21:42:21 08/30/17)
(quoted from post at 20:01:12 08/29/17) Spring sold separately. You can find it [b:b9b7ff0686]here[/b:b9b7ff0686] on YT.

Royse
Thanks for the info on the rotor clip.
I missed your post about where to buy one.
Just ordered one.

Have a great day.
You're welcome! :)

old:
When you mentioned "the site sells them here" I thought you meant the rotor. sorry about that.

Thanks for your input.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back