Do I REALLY need a governor?

SharpTJ

Member
What is the point of the governor really? My arms have a ton of slop in them and it is not really moving the throttle all that much. Why couldn't I just hook up a throttle cable and a couple brackets then go on about my business?
 
Dad always said, TWO things make the best of a Tractor... GOOD BRAKES and a GOOD GOVERNOR.

The Ford N series does not often shine in either of these areas... Brakes can and may work, governors serve as sort of a speed limiter... but a number of 'other' tractors really make these features work well.

Your mileage may vary, as it is said.
 
(quoted from post at 21:41:43 03/10/19) What is the point of the governor really? My arms have a ton of slop in them and it is not really moving the throttle all that much. Why couldn't I just hook up a throttle cable and a couple brackets then go on about my business?
ou should fix the problems if you use it as a working tractor. If use is just a toy to ride around on, on relatively flat terrain, then you can get by without it.
 
As designed, when you use it to mow, every time you hit a thick
spot, the engine will start to bog and then pick the engine speed
up and maintain your set RPM. The governor does that.

If you eliminate the governor, be prepared to wear your arm out
trying to keep up with the speed changes any time you hit thick
grass, go up or down hill, try to turn the PTO on or even let the
clutch out to get the tractor moving. When you let the clutch out,
the governor adjusts the engine speed to compensate for the load.
Without it, you would have to manually increase the RPMs like you
would step on the gas when taking off with a stick shift car/truck.

They'll run fine without it, but I wouldn't think they would be
a usable tractor. It might sound nice setting there idling.
 
SharpTJ ,With out the governor your engine may not last to long from over revving and have parts in the pan and holes in the block.Don't do it.
 

I was using a N the press fit gov gear to shaft came lose so I welded it on. Sometime later I was plowing weld broke it about threw me off the back of the tractor when it over revved, I finished up the job
it was unmanageable... A N will scoot without a gov but its hard to manage it for normal use... I then gained respect for a gov... :)
 
I could definitely be wrong, but my memory is that the Ferguson To20 (8N clone) didn't have a governor, is that correct ?

Also, I don't believe that my Kubota has a governor, although it does have a tiny foot pedal for quick adjustments.
 
(quoted from post at 07:14:06 03/11/19) I could definitely be wrong, but my memory is that the Ferguson To20 (8N clone) didn't have a governor, is that correct ?

Also, I don't believe that my Kubota has a governor, although it does have a tiny foot pedal for quick adjustments.
Of course the tp20 has a governor, Governor: Continental Motors, centrifugal
 
(quoted from post at 09:14:06 03/11/19) I could definitely be wrong, but my memory is that the Ferguson To20 (8N clone) didn't have a governor, is that correct ?

Also, I don't believe that my Kubota has a governor, although it does have a tiny foot pedal for quick adjustments.

All of my Kubotas have governors. The 80's era gear drive B series tractor has a small foot operated throttle pedal that [u:2d383dbde3]temporarily[/u:2d383dbde3] advances the hand throttle setting. When you take your foot off the pedal the engine speed returns to the hand throttle setting. The throttle setting is governed at all times and will automatically advance if load drags the engine RPM down below the operator set speed.

TOH
 

i heard this joke 40 years ago, but at this point, there aren't many out there that would understand it - except here.

a cop in texas is parked behind a billboard eating lunch when a pickup goes flying past him. the cop takes off and catches the guy. he gets out of his car and walks over to the pickup and asks the driver "Son, don't u have a governor on this truck?"

the driver replies "No sir, the governor's in Austin. That's fertilizer u smell."
 
The Ferguson TO20 has a governor. I can't imagine any tractor [i:654c4848f0]not[/i:654c4848f0] having a governor. Riding lawn mowers, push mowers, etc all have governors.

Dan
 
Good joke, it could apply to the state of Washington today. This guy (I won't mention his name, it needs to be kept under the radar) want's to run for president. His whole platform will be climate change, not global warming anymore, but climate change. Then just this weekend he apologized for being a white male.
 

A nephews friend tried running his 65 Massy without a governor, while brush hogging a small limb caught the throttle lever.
The engine over rev'd and kicked a rod out before he could get the lever loose from the limp and shoved back forward.

It's your tractor but I wouldn't run one without a governor.
 

fwiw, the guy telling the joke was a texan himself. 1980 - i looked it up, the governor of texas was Bill Clements. i've never heard of him, but i didn't take the punchline as an indictment of any particular governor.
 
My Dad graded and seeded lawns for contractors. He always kept a two ton truck hooked to an implement trailer. He had just bought a used 57 Ford F-600 and had been using it for awhile. I borrowed it to haul my tractor and when I took it back he asked me what I thought of it. I told him it was a great outfit, but I hated the governor. He got a funny look on his face and said "It has a governor?" He had had it for a couple months. :wink:
 
The original model "F" Fordson tractors (1918-'28) were sold without a factory installed governor. Guess what was the most popular, best selling aftermarket
accessory for them ? A belt-driven governor (a high tension magneto ignition and a set of fenders were close behind).

If you plan on operating a tractor under a varying load and under unequal conditions, and dont want to be manually and constantly adjusting your throttle to
maintain a certain PTO, ground or engine speed, let your governor work for you.

Unhook the governor from your lawn mower the next time you mow your lot and see how much that little appreciated gizmo does while youre day-dreaming behind the
steering wheel!
 
Could also apply it to Minnesota, where the new governor is set on further undermining 2nd Amendment rights despite at one time having an A rating from the NRA. Some politicians have no compass other than the way the wind blows.
 
Unhook the governor from your lawn mower the next time you mow your lot and see how much that little appreciated gizmo does while youre day-dreaming behind the
steering wheel!
I did that once just to see. The mower revved to the moon on command, howling like a banshee. It was great until the engine died. Tearing it apart the rod had snapped. Lesson learned.
 

So I took the governor apaet, and it actually looks pretty good. In the video you can see all the horizontal slop... It appears the previous owner rebuilt but failed to install a bushing, assuming there should be a bushing there?

https://youtu.be/2ZRfbXg4hTQ

http://imgur.com/gallery/Cg5HzHy
 
(quoted from post at 13:22:00 03/12/19) Could also apply it to Minnesota, where the new governor is set on further undermining 2nd Amendment rights despite at one time having an A rating from the NRA. Some politicians have no compass other than the way the wind blows.

rossow,

When I run into people who believe that giving up those rights brings less crime and more peace, I've decided to have fun with it even though it is a pitiful state of affairs.

So I say to them, "If you found out that Ghandi was for having an armed citizenry, would you consider rethinking your position?" Guaranteed they will chuckle, as though that would be an impossibility, and say yes to you.

So then I quote Ghandi, the most famous pacifist in the world:

[b:ac0529fe8a]"Of all the misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving an entire nation of its arms as the blackest." [/b:ac0529fe8a]

Watch them squirm! :D

In the past tyrants (Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Mussolini etc.) had to force the citizens into defensive impotence; now the brainwashed masses are succumbing voluntarily.

T
 
(quoted from post at 20:57:00 03/10/19)
All I use it for is grading the drive and light mowing/bush hogging

A foot throttle is also kind of nice to have. I have one on my 8N and like it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top