Dodge Caravan

GaryinKs

I have a 1998 Dodge Caravan and it looks like the fuel pump is bad ,Has anyone replaced the pump on one of these ? Is there anyway to
get at it from on top? It has 240,000 miles and I don't want to get in too deep is it possible to cut a piece of the floor out?

I don't know about them.Though I would unless there is a fair amount of room between refrain from a torch or grinder to cut a hole out. I would expect that maybe there would be an access hole already there.

Without checking in going by memory. You can change that fuel pump by jacking up the van .it up its on the side of the tank might need a special tool to remove the ring that holds the fuel pump in but it only pays an hour labor if I remember correctly

Look on Youtube.

Never been a fan of surgery on a floor, especially in a van. Improperly sealed it can let in exhaust. More trouble than you will save. In the long run it's best to do it right.

Piece of cake on a lift other than you have to drop the tank enough to un-clip the fuel lines. Its easy to break those plastic fuel lines then you will be in deep do do.

I don t see how cutting a hole through the floor would be easier than dropping the tank.

check with a local mechanic; they've done a million of them. should be able to give u a price BUT most times they go out because fuel filter is plugged!

Those tanks come out easy, one of the simplest fuel pumps to do. That being said, I've never put in a pump where it would have been easier to cut a hole. We have a local Amish 'mechanic' that likes to cut holes in stuff instead of doing it the proper way.

If you cut the hole, it's going to be really big. The diameter of the fuel tank opening is around 8 inches maybe nine with the ring plus you have to have it centered. I wouldn't do it.

(quoted from post at 13:43:32 09/13/22) I don t see how cutting a hole through the floor would be easier than dropping the tank.

How would it NOT be easier? You don't have to work on your back under a car (most of us don't have a lift, or know anyone that does and would let us use it for free). You don't have to figure out how to drain the tank, or balance an awkward sloshing tank of fuel while you fumble around blindly trying to disconnect 24 year old fuel lines and wires that aren't going to take much abuse. You don't have to deal with seized tank strap bolts.

Cut a hole in the floor, work standing up looking down on the tank. Tank stays in the car, saving hours of work. Old lines and wires don't get flexed and bent and pulled on.

Manufacturers should have put an access hole in the body of every vehicle to access the fuel pump from the factory. Heck even professional mechanics HATE pulling fuel tanks to do fuel pumps, and they're equipped, trained, and experienced.

Have done 2 of them, first one on a van and one on a F150, Both times tanks were dropped, Techs also recommended a fuel filter change at the same time.

My trucks get an access panel cutout in the bed, flange the panel & bolt it back in when done. 1991 gen 3 Camaro had an external pump hacked in, couldn t draw fuel if under 1/2 tank and gauge wouldn t read... cut a hole in the trunk floor, replaced the pump & sender ground. Sealed it with an old computer case panel ("Intel inside" centered on the door) and then removed the external pump. +1 on cutting a hole...

ha.
surprised how many amish mechanics we have around here. even large trucks.

goes without saying. never buy a horse, tractor,skid loader, car or any of those that an amish fellow has owned or worked on.

(quoted from post at 07:24:00 09/14/22)
A joke right... That would be a fun conversion seeing as the fuel lines are plastic.

Laugh if you want to, but that is how I got my sons little Plymouth something or other up and running again. Suggested by the experienced folks at the local NAPA.

(quoted from post at 02:55:50 09/16/22)
(quoted from post at 07:24:00 09/14/22)
A joke right... That would be a fun conversion seeing as the fuel lines are plastic.

Laugh if you want to, but that is how I got my sons little Plymouth something or other up and running again. Suggested by the experienced folks at the local NAPA.

Napa Know How : ) I doubt it was a mini van.

After Ethanol got going in fuel I've done maybe 10 pumps for myself or others. I almost always cut the floor with a roto tool. I've learned to cut three sides, and then pry back the fourth side. Since I've had to do the same car twice, due to crappy parts, it makes my life a ton easier.

$5 for a tube of silicone body sealer, and a couple screws work fine. 1998 Dodge Caravan is not a collectible machine. I'm sure they made millions of them.

And, I don't care if the hole has to be 8". Cut, cut cut. It's just metal

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back