Donate string trimmer with no batt?

I have a string trimmer, Kobalt brand, the lithium battery has been turned in at Batt-Plus so they can dispose of it. Should I donate this trimmer to one of the donation bins I see around town? Or better to take it to one of the local county's solid waste sites? BTW, the county folks just mowed my front ditch, which is the main place I can't reach with my new corded trimmer, so things may be working out just right!!
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Kind of a no brainer, if you wanted to donate it you should have left the battery on it. Trash can material now.

Good afternoon, matthies: The Kobalt brand is still sold by Lowe's, the unit is about 3 years old so should not be worn out. I had thought Lowe's would still sell a battery for it. Is that not correct? thanks for any info.
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I'd donate it. I cruise the goodwill/salvation army stores and have picked up several good bare tools to use with batteries I already have. Usually $20 or less. I'm on the hunt for a 18V Firestorm jigsaw at the moment. I have several other Firestorm tools that I found lithium batteries to fit, and am getting a lot of life out of that old product line.

Do they make Lithium replacement batteries for Firestorm tools? I have a bunch of them, and most of my batteries are just about shot. I'm sure a different charger would be needed, but I would spring for that to salvage a whole cabinet full of tools.

If you have the charger to go with it maybe donate. You can buy a new 40v trimmer with the charger and battery for around 170 bucks. The replacement battery alone would run around a hundred bucks.

Amazon sells new string trimmer without a battery for about $100 and a new battery for about $120.

If you donate it, someone else might have other Kobalt tools using the same battery and be able to use trimmer.

Good evening: I am replying to my own posting; I checked with Goodwill, they had no problem with the fact I had no battery. So I donated the three-year old Kobalt trimmer with charger but no battery. End of story, I think.
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

(quoted from post at 15:13:32 06/22/23) Good afternoon, matthies: The Kobalt brand is still sold by Lowe's, the unit is about 3 years old so should not be worn out. I had thought Lowe's would still sell a battery for it. Is that not correct? thanks for any info.
Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

I bet a battery by itself - without the tool sold at the same time - will cost more than the tool is worth. Land fill now.

Yes, Ill find the link tonight and post it. Those new batteries have really made performers out of my 18v firestorm tools.

You did the right thing.
It would be foolish and irresponsible to throw it away just because it needs a battery.

Those charitable thrift stores can do the throw away after it does not sell to someone that has a battery for it.

Or, the dope that buys it because they think a battery can't be THAT expensive can handle the throwing away part when they discover that the battery costs more than the tool.

Why didn't you just buy a battery for it yourself? Because the batteries COST TOO MUCH, right? A whole new tool that comes with a new battery isn't that much more than a replacement battery, so that's the route you took.

(quoted from post at 19:52:58 06/22/23) Do they make Lithium replacement batteries for Firestorm tools? I have a bunch of them, and most of my batteries are just about shot. I'm sure a different charger would be needed, but I would spring for that to salvage a whole cabinet full of tools.
here are adapters for just about every brand. A person could have tools from several different brands and use the same battery for everything. I'm committed to Dewalt 20v with 4 batteries and 2 chargers, but wouldn't hesitate to jump on a good deal for a Milwaukee tool that I need.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back