double ring chains on 850

DCrocker

New User
Has anyone run double ring chains (like the ones on Tirechain.com) on an 850? I have access to a pair for a great price, but need to know if there are any clearance issues. The tires are 13.6X28's
 

You can always change the rims / centers around to get more clearance. It's not that hard to do, but is heavy especially if the tires are fluid filled.
 
Here is a picture of the tractor with my current tire width.
a8034.jpg
 
Yes, you can run those chains on 13.6 X 28. I have a pair on a Jubilee that was an old highway department tractor and they wanted the extra width for safety & stability. However, be prepared to take your time when putting the chains on. They can be a pain in teh butt to work with. They"ll be tight, you need a hydrualic jack to use to jack the tires up. I start by throwing the chains over the top of the tire and them work wth slack out of them. Got 2 girls in college so I need the money for other things. However, the day after they graduate, I"m gonna change the rims & tires on that old Jubilee!!!
 
Here is my 860 with ring chains, with wheel weights and loaded tires there is no stopping this old girl.They are easy to install and have plenty of clearance. Larry-NEK
a8037.jpg
 
It is amazing how much snow one of these little Fords will push. Properly ballasted and with a good plow like yours of course. Great photo.
Nice pair.
Thanks
 
(quoted from post at 13:44:14 12/21/09) Yes, you can run those chains on 13.6 X 28. I have a pair on a Jubilee that was an old highway department tractor and they wanted the extra width for safety & stability. However, be prepared to take your time when putting the chains on. They can be a pain in teh butt to work with. They"ll be tight, you need a hydrualic jack to use to jack the tires up. I start by throwing the chains over the top of the tire and them work wth slack out of them. Got 2 girls in college so I need the money for other things. However, the day after they graduate, I"m gonna change the rims & tires on that old Jubilee!!!

I use a different method - no jack needed.

Lay the chains out - both sides. Lay them "face down behind the tires and pull them up right against the tires. Then connect the inside chain and the outside chain together by going around the rim and thru the center. You can rope them together, bolt, padlock, what ever. Then slowly back over the chains. They will climb up the tire and self wrap. When they are about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way around, you can then connect them up inside to inside and outside to outside. I use binder straps to pull them tight along with a large channel lock.

If the tires are not filled with fluid, you can air down to about 10 psi, connect the chains then air back up and the tire will expand and tighten.
 
Thanks for the feedback guys. I picked up the chains and put them on yesterday. I cleared about 16 inches of snow out of the dooryard and driveway, and even plowed the trail to my woodlot which is about 600 yards or so. No problems at all.

It is really cold today, and the forecast calls for more snow tommmorow so I am glad I got the chains on yesterday.

Dan (in Maine)
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top