Dozer advice

oldbart

New User
Been a lurker for years, buying a piece of property that needs a lot of leveling done and a road built. I just got rid of a good TD6 about 4 years ago because I couldn't justify having it. DANG! But I traded way up so it was ok. But now... There's a Cat D4 7U 1953 about 20 minutes away. Asking 8000, About 4 hours away there's a Case 310 for 10000, with a trailer. 2 hours away JD 440 9000. Cat D4 right? It says good undercarriage. new paint, looks nice. He said the battery was dead the other day and they pull started the pony motor and she fired first pull. 10 is about my budget so hoping to use it for a few months and send it on down the road. I have access to a Case CK580 and a decent dump truck so I'm about ready to rock. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

price wise they would have to be in very good condition for that kind of money ; the d4 is twice the machine of the other two; however the pony motor can be a pain .

Pony motors can be replaced with Direct Start. But it involves changing a few things. Besides the obvious electric starter with special helical pinion, you will probably want glow plugs. I think that requires different prechambers in the head.

yes; you can add an electric starter ; been there , done that; but more time and money spent. i would think ,for ten grand you get something slightly newer a little more agile and a forward reverser would make your dozer work much more pleasureable.

That D4 better have a REALLY nice undercarriage for that money. Have you considered renting a machine? You will do a lot more a lot faster with a modern dozer with a 6 way blade.

thats a high price--i paid 2400 for my 1955 D4 that i started up, loaded up and been using

Paid 8200 for my d3b that is pedal steer,power shift and 6 way blade the deals are out there if your not in a rush--otherwise rent a machine

I have been around Equipment all my working days and what i know is that OLD Dozers maybe fun to run once in a while they are for the most part just that and OLD dozer and a real pain in the drain to work on . Alot of what people call old i was running when they were new . Now the new dozers will really get the job done and fast if you are and operator . The one small dozer that impressed me the most was a 650 john deere once we got it balanced out with the addition of four slab weights on the back . I was helping a friend put in an new housing development and we ran into really bad ground and had to remover 19 feet down to the rock and fill 30 plus feet over just shy of and acre , yea that is a lot of pushen off the sides of the hills . I had the 650 down there pushing for all it was worth when my buddy came down with a D6 C , the 650 was out pushing the 6 and doing it faster . Same with a little old 450 C they will do the job and more , i had one of them while working in the oil patch and for it's size it did a lot from helping build drilling locations to dragging trucks in and out pulling three and sometime four times it's weight . and my favort of all is the 750 and 750 B. BUT when ya go looking one had best take someone that knows them inside and out as when cold they may work just fine till the get to operating temp, on them ya want to run it hard for and hour and a half and watch for oil trails in the dirt .There are a couple of them near me in your price range and a cheap 850 that needs and engine and that engine was used in the ag side of Deere and company and and easy one to find . That will move a lot of dirt , trees , rock what ever and if she is good it will do it fast.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back