Draper problem on Deere 800 Swather

dmiller

I got an 800 deere swather with #78 12 foot draper head this summer. I've never been around drapers before. Both side seem to want to drift down and bunch up at the bottom. I have a book and have checked the adjustments. They seem to be all the way adjusted (like the drapes are stretched to their max.
The machine sat out for a few years before I got it (barned under a tree).
I also am getting a bunch of grass (maybe 1/8 inch thick) wrapped around lower part of draper rolls. Is this normal?? Seems almost like the wrapped grass is the problem.

Had mine for over 20 years, wet grass will build up on the lower end of the rolls. Never had an alignment problem, though. Also, those lower bearings will wear out before the top, due to moisture accumulating there. If this is a new to you machine, did you find the grease zerk on the right side, drive system? Impossible to see- next to the planetary, but can find it with a grease gun. Nice machine, but your biggest joy will come when the drive chain comes off the final sprocket. Keep them all snug!

Those drive chains were wore and sloppy. Came off twice in one day 1st cutting. CHanged them out for new chains and haven't had problems since (hope it keeps that way).

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this but you are going to have to remove the canvasses and you will then see that when adjusting tension on draper the bottom of roller is not moving. The adjusting slot gets rusted and wore and you are only moving the top. Take the canvass off and you will see what I mean.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back