Driveway pipe.

Hobo,NC

I noticed a hole in my drive above the driveway pipe it was about 5ft from the right end. The hole was about a 5/6" circle it looked like I could get in the open space below it and take a nap. I called the local DOT that said they would come look at it but did not know when this was about 10AM. About 1PM a customer told me someone was digging up my drive sure enoufh it was the state repairing it. : ) They told me the concrete pipe had broke they coved it with a piece of metal are something and filling it back up.
The pipe is 60 years old and not reinforced : ( it needs to be replaced BTW its a 15" pipe.

Question should I go back with concrete are plastic pipe. Its a low area it needs to be cleaned out about every 10 years. I am gonna guess its 20ft wide I would like it a tad wider by about 5ft.

It was nice to have a government operation work as it should.

mvphoto100567.jpg

The DOT patched the pipe, and you ask what pipe you should use to replace it? Not understanding why you would provide a pipe that the DOT maintains??

Dot does not supply the pipe for a driveway you buy the pipe they will put it in for ya. They told me the pipe is not reinforced and its breaking up I do have some heavy loaded trucks deliver to my shop at times.

Our Fleet Farm store has culvert pipe with 12 inch smooth plastic lining, and 14 inch corrugated strengthening ribs on the outside. It would fit right inside the concrete, no mess no fuss!. Jim

I like the idea but a little leary of it. I get all the water from across the street, from my house and to the right of the drive. I have seen water all but flood over the drive the drive has been built up about 4ft higher than the surrounding area.

Hobo. My situation with driveway pipe is the same as yours basically. At my farm in La. I have 380 ft frontage at a Parish Road. Wanted an entry at
north end and a exit at south end. Chose 30 ft plastic corrugated culverts approximately 30 because of ditch size. Had them delivered at no charge.
And yes I had to purchased them. The state took care of putting them in place and supplied men trucks tractors dirt and limestone. In the end it was
perfection. I also chose 30 ft lengths because I too have large truck/trailers and 20 yard dump trucks coming onto property from time to time.
Wingnut

usually dot in missouri provides the galvanized pipe that meets
their specs.you pay for all extra over standard drive width .they
will provide limestone unless you do that but must be their specs
too.you pay for the stone either way.

You may not have a choice between concrete or plastic. The
DOT might force you to go plastic for ease of instillation as it
is one 20 or 30 foot piece. Concrete will be 4 or 5 foot pieces
that have to be put together involving more man hours.

Around here the DOT will not only install your pipe for free
they want to install it. It prevents homeowners DIY jobs that
are not placed at the proper height causing your culvert to
become a dam in the ditch that the DOT maintains.

Concrete or plastic?
Which is smooth inside?
Most plastic is not smooth, so crap would collect inside.
How long do you think you will live? I ask because most of my
years are in my rear view mirror. A good chance concrete or
plastic will outlast both of us..
Concrete or plastic? What is the cost and ease of installation?

Thats not a very deep pipe. Here the county uses steel. It'd stand up better than plastic and is probably cheaper than concrete.
AaronSEIA

The steel piece they put over the hole is just a half azzed job of fixing like most government agencies do. I would just replace it with plastic if you have the depth of cover to support the loads on it. The amount of cover over any pipe dictates the material and size. This stupid State /county even requires a tube on top of a hill. Theres no water to run through it. this is dad's side of the road. When they dictated me out of my 3 drive by not putting the phone cable deep enough they didn't even use a tube just filled the drive since there was only about a flat level between my side and the road.

Thanks guys, I am gonna call the local DOT for their recommendation. I had forgot they make plastic pipe that was slick on the inside. About 15 years ago a interstate battery truck missed the drive and dropped a wheel in the ditch it cost him 6/800 to get pulled out it was quite an affair. The least I can do is make sure another heavily loaded truck does not fall thru the pipe.

Plastic is going to last way longer than concrete and the installation cost is waaaay lower. It is good to see someone praise something that Gov't. has done. It appears to me that they did well to get out there the same day and do the emergency temporary repair. It was probably due to potential liability. Since the pipe is most likely in the state ROR.

I sure like the idea of the state taking care of it. In Ohio, the land owner is responsible for replacing a driveway culvert if you live on a county or state road. If you live on a township road, the township has to pay for it. Completely backwards from what it should be. I replaced mine and frankly it was a PITA with nothing but a tractor with a loader. BTW, every plastic culvert I've seen the last 20+ years has been smooth inside.

(quoted from post at 06:05:53 12/21/22) I sure like the idea of the state taking care of it. In Ohio, the land owner is responsible for replacing a driveway culvert if you live on a county or state road. If you live on a township road, the township has to pay for it. Completely backwards from what it should be. I replaced mine and frankly it was a PITA with nothing but a tractor with a loader. BTW, every plastic culvert I've seen the last 20+ years has been smooth inside.

It seems that all plastic pipe around here as well is smooth inside. I have been looking for single wall for a beaver deceiver but the nearest seems to be 15 hours away.

I just talked to DOT and thanked them. RC concrete pipe minimum 15" no plastic is all they spec.

The power pole and guide wire that goes toward the street makes it a tight drive. I could move the entrance to the other side $$$$ as I now own that lot. When I brought it I had it surveyed as a separate lot to give access/right of way to the lot behind me that I also own. I would have to give an easement to myself that I don't want to do.

This drive has worked for 60 years just needs some TLC.

Hobo, Where abouts do you live NC? My daughter and husband moved down there about 5 years ago.I am nearing retirement and
we are considering moving there to be closer to grand children. Looking in the Lincolnton Area. Any recommendations? thanks

"Fit right inside no muss no fuss" assuming the pipe is still round, and clear.

If it's breaking up the pipe is likely starting to collapse and you won't be able to shove the pipe through.

The right way is to dig the old pipe up and bury the new one.

IMHO the best if money is no object is corrugated plastic with a smooth inner lining. As big as will fit. Longer than you think you need.

Lincolnton is a good hike from me in the 2-1/2, 3hr range west. so don't know it well. I live around Sanford.

Recommendation bring plenty of money real-estate prices are still off the chart.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back