Drum Mower and MF 135 or Ford 3000 Tractor?

Bill VA

Thinking about picking up a drum mower to put behind my MF 50 (similar in size to a MF 135 or Ford 3000] to mow some hay in small areas such as barn yards, orchard rows, etc. Tangled stuff generally and evening mowing when both would stall a sickle mower.

Anyone have any experience with a 35ish hp farm tractor running a drum mower on level ground?

What size do you run and/or would you recommend?

Any sage advice I’d appreciated!

It will probably handle a 6 ft, but a 5'6" a lot better. I put a 5'6" on my 335 industrial Ford and went as fast as I could stay in the seat. Weight wise a 5'6" would be better. Spend the money and get hydraulic lift. I got out of the hay business last year and got mine listed on Big Iron .

I’ve put my 6’ on my 3000. It’s fine while mowing, especially flat ground. You’ll barely know its back there. BUT, once you lift it, you do not want to be on a hill. Its a lot of weight back there, in certain places it will lift the rear tire off the ground and i suppose could possibly tip. It can even make my larger tractor feel tippy on hillsides, so I try to keep it on the ground as much as possible when moving around the farm.

Thinking about picking up a drum mower to put behind my MF 50 (similar in size to a MF 135 or Ford 3000] to mow some hay in small areas such as barn yards, orchard rows, etc. Tangled stuff generally and evening mowing when both would stall a sickle mower.

Anyone have any experience with a 35ish hp farm tractor running a drum mower on level ground?

What size do you run and/or would you recommend?

Any sage advice I’d appreciated!
I have a 6' because it covers the tire width. It would run on my 3000 but I use my 3910 with added front end weights for 2 reasons: 1. For that width, you need to keep the left front tire on the ground when the cutter is in the cut position but not sitting on the ground; 2. The 3 pt lift is much higher on the 3910 giving me increased ground clearance when I move from place to place and don't move the mower straight out the back in the transport position......an unnecessary PIA for guys working alone.

Additionally, I installed a hyd. cylinder in place of the long bar that is attached to the far end of the frame so that I can stay in the mow position, raise the tip to about 45* and have clearance on hilly terrain or going through narrow gates. I have the Tar River and had the other low priced, popular one. I like the Tar River better. They are in N. or S. Carolina and I had mine drop shipped (freight) to my farm and don't recall it being all that expensive. They don't have any dealers in this general area.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back