Drum retaining screws

Grind a chisel are you may have a cold chisel that will fit the screw slot well. Clamp a pair of vice grips to the chisel while keeping a little tension on it hit the end of the chisel with a BFH. They are either breaking lose are snap off.... Nuttin to this.

(quoted from post at 15:39:47 09/05/23)
Grind a chisel are you may have a cold chisel that will fit the screw slot well. Clamp a pair of vice grips to the chisel while keeping a little tension on it hit the end of the chisel with a BFH. They are either breaking lose are snap off.... Nuttin to this.

This is a 1/2" drive drag link socket. The actual flat bit is just a hair too thick for the screws but, I figure that I can just grind off a little on my bench grinder. I haven't done that yet because I actually ordered two of them from Amazon. The other one is coming tomorrow. It's about a 1/16" under the width of the one I have now, and I'm hoping that the blade might be a little thinner. None of the ads on Amazon tell you the thickness of the blades.

If not I'll just grind down the one pictured below to make it fit. I plan to use that socket on my 1/2" battery powered Milwaukee impact gun.

xDDR6DU.jpg

This post was edited by Caryc on 09/05/2023 at 04:49 pm.

can't delete this, sorry.

This post was edited by Caryc on 09/05/2023 at 04:47 pm.

(quoted from post at 17:05:30 09/05/23)
Save the socket do the chisel BFH trick and be done with it.

Are you saying just stick the chisel in the slot and hit it with a hammer? Like just straight on, not trying to turn it? Am I thinking this right, so you're saying just the straight on blow from a hammer will bust the rust loose?

This post was edited by Caryc on 09/05/2023 at 05:38 pm.

(quoted from post at 18:06:41 09/05/23) Apply a little tension and the big shock from a BFH will break the bond.

I already used an air rivet gun with a chisel in it. I stuck the chisel into the slot and used the rivet gun on it hoping that would bust the rust loose but, no luck.

This post was edited by Caryc on 09/05/2023 at 06:15 pm.

(quoted from post at 18:37:26 09/05/23)
I doubt you have any tool in your arsenal that can compete with a BFH...

You don't give up do you? But I'll take any advice I can get. :wink:

Heat the head of the screws red hot with a torch, let them cool, take them out with a screw driver. Done many of them, never failed.

That would have been the preferred way, but, I was
15 miles from home, in the woods, with no torch.

(quoted from post at 12:48:03 09/05/23)
(quoted from post at 19:41:28 09/03/23) I fought one of them screws for a few hours and broke my impact driver.
Hammer , chisel, and new impact driver got it out.
Made sure I put antiseize on the new one.
eat the head of the screws red hot with a torch, let them cool, take them out with a screw driver. Done many of them, never failed.

I just had to come back and add this. I fought with those things, even using an impact gun on them with that drag link socket to no avail.

I don't have a torch but a buddy that lives up the street does and he was kind enough to bring it to my place. He heated up those screw heads till they were starting to turn red and when they cooled down in 3 minutes or so, I went to use the impact gun on them again and to my shock I could have taken them out with a butter knife. It was like they were not even finger tight in there.

So Tom, I certainly thank you for the torch idea you were 100% correct. :D and anyone else the recommended heat.

This post was edited by Caryc on 09/07/2023 at 05:19 pm.

I've never failed to get the toughest ones out using a slightly dulled chisel and hammer blow in the end of the slot with the chisel held at the exact angle at which the counterclockwise force should be applied.

Make the first blow count and you barely flatten the end of the driver slot -- which you can clean up with a file anyway.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back